Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bloody hayfever!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kammie, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Its driving me nuts this year. Normally the dr gives me the strongest tablets that the air force use but I'm not allowed to use those at the moment because of baby. So I've been given the weakest ones that are safe for pregnancy, which do absolutely nothing to help me.

My nose is completely blocked or really runny and keeps bleeding. I'm sneezing every two mins. I want to go out and enjoy the sun not sit locked indoors because of hayfever. I'm not sleeping very well because of my nose. My eyes are bright red and itchy. Basically I just look and feel a right state at the moment.

rant over!

2. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

It is very bad at the moment...you sound if you are really suffering....

I am down to using the dogs piriton:p:p at the moment.....lol...i must make a trip to the chemist today

Juliex

3. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

ive never had hay fever before but the last few days my eyes are driving me crazy....itchy red etc. daughter is suffering badly at the mo although she has hay fever for alot of the summer the grass pollen deff causes her most grief.

4. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

get an old divers helmet and your own air supply? then go out?

feel for you my best mates the same... luckly she lives in aberdeen and so far hasn't had too much trouble as spring isn't even there yet.. move there?

;)

5. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Its driving me nuts and the worst part is theres not a lot I can take to help with it at the moment. Only thing I can take is 10 mg Loratidine AKA Claritin and thats the weakest type of antihistamine so is doing absolutely bugger all to help me. I've always had to take the strongest form of 150mg cetrizine AKA Zirtec. Even with that I still get symptoms but not as bad. I've always suffered bad with hayfever as long as I can remember but this year is a killer.

How do people cope with bad hay fever when they're pregnant and can only take the weakest stuff? :(

6. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

I used to suffer really badly with rhinitus, now I still have to take tablets but only every now and then.

I started eating locally produced honey, one teaspoon a day and drinking more water, I aim to drink 8 x 8oz glass every day, don't always make it but better than I was doing.

I'll try and find the link I read about drinking enough water ...

7. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

WaterCure | The Miracles of Water to Cure Diseases

Taken from the website:-

I discovered that histamine is a vital chemical messenger in the brain. Histamine has a most important function not written about in medical textbooks. It is in charge of water intake and drought management in the body. It is less active when the body is fully hydrated, and becomes increasingly active when the body becomes dehydrated. This was the connection I was looking for. In short, histamine produces pain when an area in the body is suffering from drought!

When I read this it really struck home why I was so bad, I knew I was dehydrated, I figured what have I got to lose? So went out and got myself a brita filter which sits in my fridge door (I prefer my water chilled) and in the summer I drink fruit teas and less coffee.

I've seen the benefits from drinking more water, so know that it works for me :thumbup:

8. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Thats well worth a try I think! Thanks for the link. I got nothing to lose and water can't hurt my baby so if it works will be better than taking tablets that still carry a small risk to the baby.

9. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Glad to be of help :)

Don't expect instant results, it took a good couple of weeks before I noticed a difference :) and be careful not to drink too much, that can cause problems as well ;)

Good luck xx

10. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Yeah, I'm having a read of that website. Will see what they advice as the "ideal" amount and go from there. Don't think my bladder could handle it if I suddenly start drinking gallons.

11. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

would just like to say Brita filters make me fart. how good can they be for you? ;) having said that one of my mates used to work for them lmao
    definately try drinking more though, as being dehydrated will make your nose dry and block up more.

Look up Telfast. that's what i used to take for urticaria, it MAY not have any bad ingredients in it for preggers people, ask your doc he'll know.

12. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

I'll have a look into that thank owie!

13. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

no problem, i think it comes in 110 and 180 mg tablets. fingers crossed you can take them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice