Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bloody dog!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by harley bear, Feb 3, 2012.

1. harley bear

harley bear PetForums VIP

Just a quick bit of advice needed please :D

uring the night our vegas is a little bugger for jumping up to the worktops and pulling down things off the side...now the simple solution would be to put everything away BUT we dont have alot of storage atm and it wouldnt solve the problem of dirty paws on the surfaces. Other than tie all his legs together and duct tape gus jaw closed im not sure anything will stop him.
    He has even pulled full tins of cat food off the windowsill at the back of the worktop (god knows how he got it) the tin was also sealed and he chewed through the tin leaving it in a mangled mess :eek:

I need to do something for my own sanity lol it makes me cringe to think of having dirty paws on the work surface :eek: oh hasnt sorted the outhouse yet for them to sleep so they are in the kitchen at night for at least another couple of months.

2. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Have you thought about using a pet corrector or an air horn when he jumps up at the counter?

The problem is you have to catch him EVERY time! :)

3. harley bear

Pet corrector would be impossible considering he only does it when were not there.

4. BexyBoo

BexyBoo PetForums Member

Ohhh naughty doggy!
    Im guessing his bored at night with you all asleep, so a long walk before bed to tire him out too? also some food in his bowl so he dont have to go looking and lots of toys? :confused:

i hope that helps, keep nagging your hubby to get the outhouse sorted asap lol. ;)

Becky xx

5. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

You could crate train him, however, you will need room for his crate. So not too sure if this is helpful or not? :)

6. harley bear

Its not as simple to just leave food out because they both eat whatever they have within seconds, cant have the crate now we have the huge deep freeze in the kitchen....cant nag oh to get the out house sorted because its being used for storage why the bedroom gets plastered and decorated..so were just really stuck atm was hoping someone could recommend something i could put on the surfaces that would deter him from getting up there.

7. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

hedgehogs?..porcupines?

GARLIC?

Big black cat from the other thread?

mini electric shepherd?

I am trying!!!!!

8. harley bear

:lol: He loves garlic :eek:

9. Bella Beagle Mum

Bella Beagle Mum PetForums Senior

Put them in the deep freeze........................................?;)

10. harley bear

OMG :eek: ...............................dont tempt me :eek:

11. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Dettox spray - too difficult for you to try & keep him off at the moment so just give your work surfaces a good spray with that before you use.

12. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

wall them in! install Iron bars!

make Oh sleep on kitchen tops?

Go for a long., long dogless! holiday.....

13. harley bear

I get through a whole pack of anti bac wipes a day and tons of spray lol

Oh i wish we could have a holiday ...would make my year to have a few weeks away lol

14. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

All sleep in the kitchen with them in tents :p :rolleyes:

15. harley bear

Or leave em outside lol

16. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Is there any other room in the house you can leave them in on a night time? probably a silly suggestion because if there was you would have already tried it right....good luck anyway

17. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

get him a black kong and stuff it with summat and stick it in the freezer and give him that on a night. He might settle better with free run of downstairs???

Our Darla is the same, she goes counter surfing at every opportunity for food!

And the other week, for no apparent reason, Darla and Magnum chewed up OH's little hand made wooden chess set, travel size. They pinched it from where its always been, so why they nicked it this particular day I have no idea :confused:: but we knew it was those two cozx they had little bits of wood stuck between their teeth, lol! :D

I think Vegas is doing it out of seperation anxiety hun

18. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Maya loves to do the same including shredding the bins and then peeing on the upstairs hallway carpet :scared:

My solution? she gets locked in my room with me at night :lol: don't suppose you can really do that :lol:

I've not a clue but I share your pain

19. harley bear

He has a cong ..he aint having free run of anywhere..he aint doing to me sofas what hes done to my dining table and chairs :eek:
    Nope lmao he loves to shred bin bags too ...the other day he managed to pull the bin bag out the bin while leaving 90% of the contents on the bag still in the bin :confused: god knows how he managed that :lol:

20. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

It sounds like Vegas is bored at night and very determined to entertain himsefl!
    I would also suggest trying to wear him out before bedtime so his more likely to just sleep through the night and not wonder about. What about leaving him with a big bone to chew on, all the chewing will keep him occupied and maybe tire him out and make him sleep with a feel good factor once his finished?
    Could you get some storage boxes which you can put things like cat tins etc in and then leave this box in another room? I know it would mean packing up a kitchen before you go to bed every night, but it would hopefully break Vegas out of the routine of surfing the counters. And mean your not waking up to chaos and a headache in the mornings!

Spraying yours sides with a deterant sounds good... but you have to prepare food on those sides for your kids, so you would have to be careful in that sense. And not all deterants work for all dogs! I used a no chew spray on my table (yes he chewed up my table) for Sailor when he was teething and my god does that stuff make you choke... but Sailor seemed to know how long it would take for the bad taste to go and that seemed to be about 12 hours. Then he would continue to chew unless I resprayed regularly, which meant my house became somesort of chemical warfare zone and I stopped using this quite quickly.

Unfortunately I dont think there is a quick easy solution!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice