Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bloody Census...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Argent, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Just had a guy knocking on the door about the Census thing...apparently they know we've filled it in online but it says we've not submitted it...

Just tried to log in and see, guess what, code doesn't work anymore, suggesting I HAVE submitted it.

FFS we had this problem with online feedback surveys in Uni - people were doing them, and sending them but they weren't going through :mad:

2. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

I have my own solution to that problem.

I don't answer the door. :)

They can go to hell with their census. As if for one second the government says "thanks very much, we promise not to use this information for 100 years".

It's simply a tool to see how much further we can be squeezed of our income via taxation. If I do end up having to complete the bloody thing it will all be lies.

:D

3. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Lol we don't even have an income - we're students.

Though I do know now that with both me and OH becoming freelance when we graduate, we'll be paying 2 maybe 3 different taxes, and will have to earn twice as much as a regular 9 to 5 worker to have the same amount of actual income!
    How on earth is that fair?

4. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

That's why I told OH we were posting our no matter what. He was like "Blah blah easier online" and I was like "Blah blah the gits will mess up and we'll get a fine." Thanks for proving my point :D (though I hope you don't get fined)

BOOYAH

5. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

It isn't.

But there are only 2 things guaranteed in life...taxes and death.

The rest is unknown.

;)

6. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

I'll have them in at my computer to watch me try and log in! It doesn't work!!!

7. I did consider doing mine online but changed my mind and filled the form in 2 days after it arrived and posted it the next day! Glad I did now.:tongue_smilie:

8. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

LOL Let me be a lesson to all of you!!!

I did mine online because I didn't want our personal details going off through the post! So much for added security!

9. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

did mine the old fashioned way with a pen and paper.......and a rat helping out :lol: didnt see the point of it to be honest. nothing there that they couldnt have got from other sources like my tax record or local council. maybe i'm missing the point :blink:

10. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

I rang the census helpline cos I gota reminder and I've sent mine back already and got told they won't have processed them all for another 3 weeks. So they are wasting resources sending people door to door to chase censuses that have probably already been submitted :mad: :mad: :mad:

11. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I disagree! Census' are great! Interesting to study from which I have done for my degree and we aren't allowed to use ones from less that 100 years ago.

They only have the same info as your driving license and everyday details that you would tell someone. So its not invading on your details. Would be useful to future historians.

I am biased because I am a history geek. Primary sources are limited but census' are something that you can always rely on there being as they are done every 10 years. What happens if future generations of your family want to find out their ancestors?

They aren't used for taxation purposes and they are very strict on information not being distributed. Conspiracy theory!!

12. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Charley...England's very first ever cenus was called the doomsday book for a reason...people literally thought it was doomsday. It is well accepted by historians that it was done for tax purposes and no other reason. The king wanted to know exactly who owned what and how much it was worth so that he could plan for taxation.

I really don't think that the whole point in the census (and the great expense it incurs) is so that some kid in a library in 2111 can see what me, a mere nobody, did for a living. The information is kept under wraps for 100 years, but it's used immediately for taxation.

:)

;)

13. Bandy

Bandy Banned

Doing genealogy, often the best source to track down VALID names of family members is to go back and cross reference the census taken during the years that person would have been a child. Following along, you can then trace the family line back even further making sure you're as accurate as possible.

For historians as well, I can see it as an invaluable tool.

Just a thought on its...less evil side.

14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Frankly I object to the census. I dont believe for one second that nobody will use it for a hundred years..yeah, right!!
    I dont think its any of the governments business what I do for a living or how many bathrooms I have. And if you want to track genelogy or social history in the future then you now have the internet!!:D Thanks, to facebook, twitter and places like PF everyone knows everything anyways!!
    (although I didnt train Graciecat to wee on my census when it hit the doormat I did give her a big cuddle for doing it!!LOL):D

15. mstori

mstori PetForums VIP

oops.. i forgot all about returning my cencus.. :rolleyes::

As someone who needed the census for doing a college course where I traced my family tree I thought it was invaluable, and found out things I could not have otherwise.. BUT i do NOT want to do this census due to links to Lockheed Martin..

Do i risk a £1,000 fine?! do i do the whole "human rights thing" hmmmm..

Tori x

#15 mstori, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  16. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

At least The Yanks are compiling it...our lot would have left it all in a laptop on a train...:rolleyes:

17. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Thanks for the reminder - need to stick it in the post lol!

18. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Did mine online and got a number at the end of it to prove that I had 'returned' it

19. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

Well I had my first census 'visitor' last week. I agree with Classix, they say the info is kept confidential for 100 years but lets be clear about this, it is only confidential to the likes of you and I! Government can use it if it is 'in the interest of the country'

20. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

Bliddy stupid questions on the darned thing anyways! "One year ago, where were you?" WTF??? How the hell am I supposed to remember where I was a year ago for god's sake? I can't remember last week leave alone 12 months ago, and why do you need to know that anyway if the census was relevant to 27th march 2011??

Conflumoxed..........pointless waste of time. :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice