Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Blood Testing???

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by briertonminilops, Jun 21, 2010.

1. briertonminilops

briertonminilops PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone...we are novice breeders of British Shorthairs. We have 3 girls coming up to breeding age and our own stud boy. Is blood testing standard practice among breeders? I contacted two vets in our area and they had no idea what I was talking about! Also, should we have all our cats blood tested or just the girls?
    Can anyone advise please...am so confused and just want to do the right thing!

2. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

hello and welcome, there are some BSH breeders on here to give you advise, but i think you have to blood test british shorthairs,because if your stud and queen are certain blood types it could result in the whole litter of kittens dying,i will go find someone with more info. :)

3. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Hello :)

I take it you mean testing to determine your cats' blood groups? I recall asking my vet at the time (this was some years ago when blood group incompatibility was first beginning to be recognised in cats) and he hadn't a clue what I was talking about :) If you explain what you want done and why, there's absolutely no reason why your vet can't draw some blood and send it off to the appropriate lab.

It's a bit hard on the pocket, testing them all at the same time so you could just test your boy for now; if he's a 'b' blood group then it matters not what blood group your girls are. You could have your girls tested at a later date.

Personally, I don't blood group mine though my stud was tested for the benefit of people who wanted to use him and were concerned about blood grouping. I always say 'I don't blood group' with a feeling I should be ducking for cover! But the fact is I've never had a problem with BGI in all the years I've been breeding.... though if I was just starting out, as you are, and with all the information that's now available on it, I would test as I'd be petrified of carrying out certain/unknown blood group matings otherwise.

4. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Most moggie cats are A blood group but there is a very high proportion of B blood grouped cats in the BSH breed. If you mate a queen to a stud of an incompatible blood group you can end up loosing the litter to neonatal isoerythrolysis in some or all of the kittens.

This link is very interesting in explaining the details:
    Dr. Addie - Feline Blood Groups

Have a look at this link for details of companies that do blood tests:
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-breeding/84904-blood-tests.html

Hope that helps,
    x

colliemerles likes this.
  5. becbec31

becbec31 PetForums Member

Hi

I too breed british shorthairs. I would test your boy, as previous said if he is a B he could be mated with any girl. To be honest it is something i insist is checked before i commit to buying a new breeding cat as I am not prepared to have to start taking newborns away from their mothers when they are soo young. Bottle feeding is no easy task.

To be honest vets are not too clued up on breed specific problems for example PKD testing in British shorthairs, or colour genetics are you aware of PKD?

Check out this website its where I have all my tests done, you have to send them airmail to America but its takes 10days to get them done and doesnt require having blood taken at the vets. You can do a Buccle swab ( a cotton bud in the mouth) and you can do it at home, much more pleasant for the cat.

Cat Tests

If you have any other questions we are all more than willing to help each other out, you can always Private Message me if you want.

6. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Having the blood testing done is an excellent idea for reasons folks have said above ... But also you could do with doing the swab test for PKD (polycystic kidney disease).

Edit: Bex posted as I was typing :D

colliemerles likes this.
  7. briertonminilops

Thank you everyone for the welcome and the prompt advice...I did contact the girls' breeder but no response. Quite upset about that because we also breed/exhibit Miniature Lop rabbits and we don't care if the rabbit is six months or six years we are always available to advise.
    I will have our boy tested as suggested (swab idea sounds great), it will be worth it for peace of mind!
    thank you again.

8. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Just a little extra ... Are all your cats on the Active? Did you buy them from the breeder with the breeder knowing your intentions?

You have to tread very carefully with such things, as there are usually contracts to consider from the breeders. So I would make an extra effort to contact the breeder, if nothing else than to make sure it is OK to proceed :)

9. briertonminilops

Yes absolutely...we were totally upfront and all our cats are on the Active Register...thanks.

10. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

That's good to hear :D

It will be nice to watch you go through the process, and then watch you experience your first litter ... Of course this is just me buttering you up for even more cute pictures of BSH kittens :D

I am just too greedy!

11. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

2 vets I contacted also has no iudea about health tests I wanted done either, I said that I like to do things properly so find out!

Best to do all health tests for your breed :) Good luck! What colour babies do you have?

12. briertonminilops

Thank you..I have registered with the testing centre. I'd better start swabbing...oh, they are so going to hate me for this !!!

13. briertonminilops

Many thanks. I have registered with the test centre and will start swabbing...oh, they are so going to hate me for this!!!

14. briertonminilops

Well you're going to have quite a wait but thanks for the encouragement. i have been going around in circles for months now trying to figure out everything for myself...I want my these beautiful cats to have the best life possible. it's great to know that there are people like yourself who will take the time to help the "new kids on the block" !!!

15. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Apparently there are online USA DNA clinics that can provide more information on blood grouping than UK ones. I am not sure which clinics these are though...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice