Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

blood testing kits

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Shayden, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Shayden

Shayden Banned

Hiya has anyone ever had any experience with blood testing kittens at birth, if so can you share ur experiences please. also where did you get your testing kits?

2. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

do you mean blood testing to see what blood group they are?

google langford vets I think mopst breeders, including me go to them :)

its like £30, you can also get your vet to take it and they send it off, they charge a vet visit on top of the £30, so itll be about £45-50

3. Shayden

Shayden Banned

yeah thats what i mean! thanks is is £30 for 1.... or is there like a pack of them

4. Shayden

Shayden Banned

hold on.... i mean theres ones you can do when the kitten is first born, to check if they are compatible to suckle from mum!.... is that the same type?

5. Shayden

Shayden Banned

i just had a look! they got a deal ... £20 for blood typing :)

6. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Im losing it here lol, if you know mum & dads blood group you will know if the kits are ok to suckle at birth, Im not sure if blood grouping is a swab (id say they are to young at birth poss leave it until 4weeks old) plus you have to send it off so it would take to long if you dont want them to suckle at birth?!

the vets can take a blood test would prob be alot easier...

7. Shayden

Shayden Banned

yeah i know for definite that my boy is B and my girl is A but i thought there was a test you could take at birth of the kittens with blood via the umbilical cord (apparently it looks like a snap test) and put it in the kitten pack for people who want confirmation of blood type the same as you would give confirmation of their injections etc! it makes no real difference as i dnt plan on selling any on the active register (except im giving an active girl to my breeding partner) but needless to say that doesnt stop alot of ppl from trying :mad:

8. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

ahhhh right I get you now do it done instantly? Ive not heard of it, Id give langfords a call though, sounds like a good idea though!

I know all of ours go with contracts and everyone neuters them, however we may start to neuter before they go as I get so stressed about it!

9. Shayden

Shayden Banned

yeah i thought it was a good idea, I came across it when i had my old cats (russian blue) its usually used as soon as a kitten is born to check if they can suckle from the mother if blood groups are in question but im assuming it can be used and go into a kitten pack also!

I guess if it may save kittens lives its got to be a good idea! even if you dont plan on selling the kittens on active its always nice to know!

Some people will breed regardless of pedigree or active registration!

I plan on doing a contract! but to be honest i dont know how effective it will be and how you will be able to monitor it... I was thinking about with holding paperwork until confirmation of castration/spaying has been done but apparently i cant do that!

I mean whats to stop a person from breeding a cat then selling them without papers? i see it on free add sites all the time! how would i be able to track that?

10. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

yeah iv erd bout the ones at birth too,i wouldnt waste ur money tho if ur putting them on non active, your breeder friend can get it tested her self couldnt she,also the other thing is if buccal swabbing this cant be done this kittens are weaned incase mums dna is in kittens mouth i think im right with this:p

11. Shayden

Shayden Banned

yes i believe you are right lol! ;)

12. we love bsh's

we will get there;) als i av dun 4 the the last 2weeks is search the net trying to learn as much as poss day n nite! will av square eyes soon lol. nice to talk with sum1 at roughly same stage with me.:p

13. we love bsh's

rite defo goin bed nah lol gona b tired in the morn! nite al hope ur on 2moro:sleep:

14. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Oh I know some people will, I withhold all paperwork every breeder I know does, However you have to tell the person buying and you both sign the contract, to follow it up I keep in touch with everyone, and If I dont hear back we send out reminders, if we then dont hear back we send out paperwork telling them what they signed and out next steps with what we shall do, only ever had one person not want to neuter, we obviously had it sorted and they then sold the kitten as they couldnt breed from 'it' we are alot more stricter now and If I get a bad feeling I dont sell a kitten to that person.

Everyone keeps in touch and its easy to send someone a text or email or a quick call about neutering, they can send you paperwork and you can then call the vets, I did the other day, however my friend recently told me that one of hers went and the person had the same kitten/colour and sent in neutering paperwork for that kitten to her! she only found out when she see a advert!!

so we may start neutering befoer they go, most peopole are genuine, but I feel as breeders its up to us to follow up on kittens and make sure that they are neutered, esp when people sign a contract, it also has to be a good contract not a little bit of paper, we had a solicitor draw ours up. But its also up to the buyer to get it done on time aswell, its a partnership 50/50. neutering isnt just about the breeding its also about the health of the cat and its mental health, some people buying a kitten and dont know/understand about neutering think its just about getting pregnant and it they are indoor cats that they will be fine, they dont understand about the illness's it can cause or mental state of a cat! So you just explain it, everyone who comes to mine I ask to bring a list of questions, we spend 1-2hours chatting and spending timw ith the kits, have spent 4hours before and once until 11pm! They drove 5hours to get here lol! Its all about learning and advice the more people know the more they are educatred about it, I didnt know all of this until I learned about it!

some breeders add fines if found to be breeding, some go and take the kitten back, some take people to court, then on the other hand some sell then never give a second thought to it so people just dont bother, it isnt hard for a breeder to give a text see how the kitten is doing and say when neutering is due by, everyone Ive sold to bar that one person still sends me texts, emails, piccis, some I speak to every day! more extended cat family friends now than anything :)

#14 Taylorbaby, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  15. Shayden

Shayden Banned

ok! that doesnt sound like a bad idea! i thought u wernt allowed to hold onto the paperwork! but I will defiantly make a contract to that effect!

Cheers :)

16. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

I'm not sure why you would need to test for blood group at birth, if you already know the blood groups of the mother and father you will have made sure they are compatible, yes?

Putting blood group confirmation in a kitten pack is of no use to anyone wanting a pet, they probably don't even know they have different groups!

If someone did buy an active registered kitten from you, it is their responsibility to get the kitten tested themselves, not yours. You could advise of the possible groups based on the mum and dad.

I use Langfords for all my genetic testing, i get a discount. They are excellent and i would recommend them!! They send out swab packs that you do yourself, it's just a cotton bud or a mascara wand thing and you rub in on their cheek, inside the mouth, dead simple!! Results come a few days later :)

I have quite a large kitten contract, i email it to any prospective buyers to see if they can agree to everything, if not, no kitten.

Many people withhold the GCCF slip and pedigree but i don't. I do have a neutering certificate that i insist is stamped and signed by the vet to prove neutering but apart from that, i trust my instincts when it comes to choosing suitable new owners. I keep in touch and they send regular updates, and photos. :)

I have a good instinct when it comes to people, you get a 'sense' about people, bad feeling = no kitten for them. :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice