Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Blood test

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Loki&Baelish, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Loki&Baelish

Loki&Baelish PetForums Member

Hi, paid for a blood test this morning and got the results back this afternoon. Basically the vet said they do two test, one is something to do with the blood cells and the other is to do with organ function ? I'm not exactly sure but she started by saying the test regarding the blood cells failed so she has no results regarding that? She went on to give me some bad news saying the other test had picked up something that seemed excessive and indicated the possibility of fip. I then went on to pay for some more blood tests to try and exclude other illnesses. I just wonder what peoples opinions are regarding the failed test? I feel I should be insisting they test again in order for me to get the results? Obviously at the time of the call I wasn't really thinking straight and I just accepted it had failed. I hope this makes sense because my head is abit messed up at the moment as the vet is confident she is correct in her diagnosis.

#1 Loki&Baelish, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Loki&Baelish - there is no definitive test for FIP. A diagnosis is made on the basis of excluding what else could be causing the symptoms. And that usually means a lot of tests.

It would be best if you could go and have a conversation with your vet and find out exactly what illnesses have been tested for and ruled out. Take a notebook with you and make notes if you want to. It is sometimes easier than trying to remember afterwards everything that was said. Also ask for a printout of all the tests that were done and the results. You are entitled to that - you paid for the tests. Keep it in your records.

Importantly, ask the vet on what evidence she thinks your cat may have FIP? And ask does she think it might be dry FIP or wet FIP? Do not let her persuade you to have your cat pts if your cat is still apparently well, e.g. responding to you normally and eating and using her litter tray as normal.

Can I ask what symptoms your cat has, that led to you taking her to the vet on this occasion?

lorilu and Treaclesmum like this.
  3. Loki&Baelish

She seemed off, she was very defensive around the boys which was out of character. She also wasn't finishing her food, still eating but not as much. Then she started sleeping more and not playing. We took her the vet and she had a high temp, 41 if I remember correctly. They gave her antibiotics and metacam. She responded well and started playing again, appetite increased. After 5 days the metacam ran out and she started going back to sleeping and avoiding the other cats. She also didnt want much attention from us. We took her back the vet and her temp has increased to 43 (antibiotics not working) Shes is eating/drinking plenty (drinking much more than normal) she is clearly unwell and do agree it looks serious. Physically they cant find anything other than the high temp. Part of the successful blood test showed "globulin" as very high and this is what has made the vet more certain that it is fip (she had previously warned me before the blood test that she was concerned it could be fip) The next tests we paid for are to remove a few other conditions as the cause. If I remember correctly, HIV and feline leukaemia - there is more but I didn't make note. I'll call the vets tomorrow and get more details. From my own research I think it is the dry form, as she doesn't have the fluid build up, her eyes are fine (maybe more sensitive then usally) Unfortunately the fact that she is from a multi cat home, she is a house cat and she shares litter trays the odds are stacking up against her. Shes back on metacam and has had loads to eat tonight and a quick play with her favourite toy but shes now back in our bedroom fast asleep. She is currently separated from the boys to avoid them stressing her out. Thanks for the tips, I am going take more notes going forward, I really want the full blood test doing but it would now mean taking her for bloods again. The first time the vet tried to take blood she had to rebook her in as she said she was too tense. I'm so gutted, shes not even 2 years old. I tried to prepare for the worse to but actually hearing the vet tell me the news was heartbreaking. Here is a recent picture. instasize_191016013553.png

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If you can either get a print of the results, or take photos of them, that will help talking about them

Treaclesmum and Loki&Baelish like this.
  5. Loki&Baelish

I've just spoken to the vets, there is no one available to go through it again with me until monday.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Loki&Baelish - aww she is really beautiful isn't she, bless her! xx .

I understand FIP can affect a cat of any age, but it usually affects kittens and senior cats from what I have read. It seems quite uncommon to affect a 2 yr old.

There is a new treatment available - another of our member's cats is having it at present with promising results so far. If your cat is diagnosed with FIP it may possibly be a suitable treatment for her. It is expensive however and not 100% effective in every case.

This is the thread:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...nosis-treatment.520473/page-2#post-1065522575

Please update us when you have the print out of all the test results.

Sending many healing thoughts to your dear girl. xxx

#6 chillminx, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Treaclesmum likes this.
  7. Loki&Baelish

Thanks for the information, we have joined the group. It seems time is an important factor so I'm really confused about what to do next....I doubted the diagnosis but I'm not sure if that is just denial so by starting with another vet I dont know if I'm wasting time. I also dont want to start treating her if it has been a misdiagnosis. Surely the vet we have seen wouldn't diagnose her unless she was confident? I mean maybe the blood results are more conclusive than my understanding. I really wish I had that information right now. The group have been great. I really dont know how I can afford this....hopefully they accept credit cards.

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It is an awful situation to be in, very worrying and upsetting. I'm so sorry you're going through this; my heart aches for you and your lovely cat. x

From what I've learnt through the experiences of forum members with their cats over the years, some vets seem to be quicker than others to diagnose FIP. Has your girl got an accumulation of fluid in her abdomen and has a sample been taken and the fluid tested? If so, was the result conclusive either way?

This is a long-shot - have you ever fed your girl commercially prepared raw venison? There were some problems a while ago with a few batches from one commercial supplier of raw meat for pets, of the venison being infected with bovine TB. Vets were not used to seeing this disease in cats, and apparently in some cases it was misdiagnosed initially as suspected FIP.

I am glad you have joined the FIP treatment group and very pleased the members have been helpful and supportive.

In your position I would book a private consultation with your vet and go in (without your cat) and ask the vet to go through all the test results with you in detail. Take with you a list of all the questions you want to ask. A consultation for a discussion will not be that expensive (£20 maybe) and as you will be paying for the vet's time you need not feel rushed. At least that way you would have some answers, as to why the vet has said FIP is a possibility.

Thinking of you and your beautiful cat. xx

#8 chillminx, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  9. Loki&Baelish

We've never got into feeding raw and before we got her, September last year she was just on felix or something similar to that quality. Since then shes been on ferenga pure meat.

No fluids but I have been slightly concerned tonight, I don't know if I'm imagining it but her belly could be a little swollen. The vet seen her Friday and checked her over and didn't say anything. We are going to do everything we can Monday to get more information. I might be going tomorrow to pick up some fip medication, going to try hold off giving her but I've got a feeling I'll just give it to her just to be safe. I've been told that even if it isnt fip there are no side effects.

Financially I'm not in the best position but if I'll raise the cash if the treatment shows positive signs. There is still a glimmer of hope.

chillminx likes this.
  10. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Im glad you've joined FIP Warriors, some vets toss around FIP as a go to diagnosis so a second opinion is always worthwhile.
    You are correct some have used the meds to rule out FIP. Hopefully you'll get some answers Monday.

Loki&Baelish likes this.
  11. Loki&Baelish

We have sent off more bloods for some more tests but this is what we have so far. Screenshot_20191111-112309_Drive.jpg

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi there, raised levels of Globulin may indicate chronic inflammation and certain disease states. Raised levels of Total Protein (TP) can indicate dehydration (perhaps because she's not eating much and not drinking enough to compensate). I assume the raised Globulin is the vet's concern. If you are having more blood tested it sounds as though the vet is being thorough, which is reassuring.

Being an indoor cat from a multi-cat home and sharing litter trays shouldn't increase her risk of FIP, as it is not contagious. It would increase the chances of her catching the Feline Coronavirus (FCoV) but FCoV is endemic in the domestic cat population anyway. Only a very small percentage of FCoV infection mutates into FIP as you know.

Has the vet ruled out the symptoms as being possible feline leukaemia (FeLV)?

13. Loki&Baelish

Hi, she is now being tested for feline leukaemia and to see if she carries the Coronavirus, aswell as feline hiv. We are due to start fip treatment tomorrow evening.

She is holding up ok, shes eating fairly regular but is sleeping/resting loads. I'm keeping her contained most of the time in order to keep her from becoming stressed by the boys.

She having small moments of affection with us, climbing on us and purring but the majority of the the time she is just laying down. I've just come home from work to check on her and shes decided she wants a walk around the house.

Thanks for the response, I'll update you with the latest test results when I get them.

chillminx likes this.
  14. Loki&Baelish

20191117_201732.jpg Screenshot_20191117-202238_Drive.jpg Screenshot_20191117-202216_Drive.jpg Quick update, here are the latest blood results. I'm pretty sure we are now treating fip. She has responded really well to meds so far and she is basically back to normal, playing and eating. Only thing to note is she is still not being as affectionate as she would normally be, just having the odd moment.

15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Loki&Baelish - thank you for the update and the latest blood test results. As you say it does look like a strong possibility she has FIP. Though a high titre of FCoV is not always a definite symptom of FIP, it may be so in your little one's case...

I am very pleased to hear she is doing very well on the medication so far, bless her. Excellent news. :)

I hope and pray the progress continues. Thinking of you, and sending many healing wishes to your sweet little lass xx

Treaclesmum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice