Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Blood in Urine

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by goulash, Jul 29, 2009.

1. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

One of our cats, Ratty (short for Ratatouille) has been having some litter-tray problems today. Can anyone help please?

She visits quite often, more than usual, and spends longer in there. Not much seems to be happening though, and after inspecting, there's a tiny amount of pink in the litter (at the moment we're using Catsan, so I guess it shows up pretty easily) - ie, she seems to be weeing blood. Only a teeny amount but it's important. I'm not 100% sure, but I reckon it's wee rather than No2 we're talking about here...

I've looked at a very good thread which is full of really good advice - http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/17062-blood-urine-help.html - but wondered if anyone has anything to add, or help, please?

For info: She's 3, tichy tiny, and very timid. We adopted her 6 months ago. She's shown no previous problems. She doesn't seem to be ill, isn't behaving abnormally, etc. However (and I'm sure I'm not imagining this having read the thread mentioned above) - she HAS been eating more dry food lately (Iams) and seems to be favouring this above wet food which we prefer to feed our cats. I've not given her any dry food since this morning, and she has fresh water all day, although it doesn't seem like she's eaten or drank much today.

A trip to the vets may be called for and if it's not better tomorrow then I'll give them a call, but I wonder what you all think about this????

Thanks, Goulash and Ratty

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Oh poor Ratty!!
    This is just a suggestion. I think it could be cystitis.
    One of mine had this when she was 6 months old. She kept going to the litter tray and there was some blood. I felt so sorry for her i was at the vets first thing the next day. As we women know how uncomfortable this can be.

You need to get her to the vets tomorrow morning. or ASAP.
    I would not give her anymore dryed food. Also try and get her to drink some water.

Let us know how you get on.
    Good luck Ratty.

3. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

I agee with what jill has said id take her to the vet poor thing.

4. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

Thanks for your advice. Just called the vets and she's going in later this morning. She seems absolutely fine otherwise - just visiting the litter tray more often. I'll let you know how we get on....

5. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

Just visited the vet. It's actually a first time for us all (we've only had her 8 months). He was very good, and reassuring, with such a timid and tiny cat. He's given her an anti-inflammatory injection. He offered the choice of leaving her there overnight, or us bringing her in first thing tomorrow - we chose the latter, I hope correctly - so as he can anaesthetise her, get a urine sample and do a scan.

As I write this she's playing with her favourite catnip toy and trying to pounce on my partner. It seems the anti-inflammatory has settled her a little. But she's not eating or drinking, and she's nil by mouth from 8pm...

Anyway, I'm feeling a lot more relieved! Next installment soon.

6. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Ah poor little Girl.
    Hope she will be back with you soon.
    Let us know how you get on.
    It's nice to know it's not bothering her too much.

7. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

poor ratty, hope she feels better soon

i have been through this recently with my marmalade, he is now on cystaid daily as a precaution as he had 2 bad bouts one after the other. the vet also said to stop feeding him on dry food as he obviously wasnt getting enough moisture as he didnt drink much, since his diet has been changed and on the cystaid he has been fine :)

hopefully with ratty it is something as simple to treat

8. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

Thanks Nanamoo, and to all you others too. Having spent ages looking on these forums (and elsewhere), a recurring theme seems to be that exclusive dry food, or too much of it at least, isn't a good thing - at least for some cats. It seems too much of a coincidence that about three days or so before Ratty's problem started, I noticed she was eating far more dry food, and deliberately choosing it over wet if she could.

Since yesterday I've taken away the dry food, for now, and been giving them wet with a little added water stirred in (there are two of them, and he doesn't seem to be suffering at all, in fact he couldn't care less, bless him ;) )

I've also put their water in a far bigger bowl. A fountain is coming - who knows if it'll work or not. It was a joy (and a relief!!) to hear her slurping her food this evening, as it was the first time she'd eaten all day

9. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

i have 2 cats at 1 yr old, and only 1 suffered with cystitis but as the vet said it is unusual for a male cat of marmalade's age to suffer from it

i bought a fountain too but neither of the older cats seem to bother with it, its only the kitten and the dog that will drink from it lol

just keep an eye on her until she is next at the vets, if she shows signs of going for a wee and not actually doing anything call the vet for advice if you can, just to be on the safe side

lots of loves n purrs for poor ratty hope she is lots better soon

10. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

Latest: Took Ratty into the vets this morning first thing. Vet has just told me he found a bladder stone on the scan, about 3mm across he reckoned. He's going to operate to remove it, and get it analysed. He may have to keep her in overnight the poor thing - but I know it's for the best in the long run. No idea what it is yet, or how long it's been there. So glad we got her to the vet when we did. Bless the poor little sausage!!

11. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

aaaaawwwwww poor ratty, she is in the best place for her just now, it wont be long until she is back home again

at least you know what was causing her a problem, just gotta find out the why now

sending lots of quick healing vibes for ratty

12. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

Here's the two of them. Ratty is the small cute black one

Attached Files:

13. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

aaaaawwwwwww they are both cuties goulash :)

14. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Hope Ratty gets better soon. Poor little thing!
    I bet you are so glad you got her to the vets.
    Get well soon Ratty!!

15. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

Ratty is back with us now, about two hours ago :). She's fine, shaved and stitched, also hobbling a bit from the catheter - but fine. Hasn't eaten all night, apparently, but has been since being back. She's even playing (bonkers!) with the other cat and my partner right now.

She's been given a cone/collar, and we were told we should put it on if she picks and pulls at her stitches. Only thing is that she's been SO stressed at the vets, plus she's an OBSSESSIVE washer - so we're anxious to strike a balance here: anyone got any advice? It's definitely going on tonight before we go to bed.

And yes Jill, UNBELIEVABLY glad that we got to the vets (who were brilliant) and caught this before it got worse. She can wee now, there's still some blood but apparently this is normal for a few days. Vet couldn't find any stones in her bladder in the end, but sent the contents away for tests. She has antibiotics and anti-inflammatory too.

thank you everyone for your love, thoughts and wishes

16. sarahberra

sarahberra PetForums Member

I am so sorry to hear about your cat. This can be a serious problem. I hope your cat feels better soon.

17. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

Ratty is doing fine, on the whole. It's now 4 days since her op, and 3 days since she came back home. We re-visited the vets yesterday evening and she coped ok with that.

He told us that: (a) he couldn't find any of the stones he'd seen on the ultrascan once he opened up her bladder, (b) the test results of her urine had come back and they couldn't find any of either main crystal types, but (c) what they DID find was a bug, an infection, which he said was rare for a cat of that age (3, more or less).

She has her stitches out next week. I'm watching her constantly to ensure she doesn't pick (not needed the cone yet). Vet says she'll need a prescription diet - although I kind of wonder why, if neither crystal types were found, but I'm pretty sure we'll go that way for the next few months at least (I don't want to tempt fate and for this to recur).

She is behaving a little oddly, sneezing a bit, and twitching her abdomen but only rarely, and she slept all day today (but so did her brother, so I'm not too worried about that).

18. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

sounds a bit like my marmalade, at his worst his wee was blood red like he was just passing blood without urine, then he stopped going wee :( and had to spend almost 2days in the vets

the vet ran quite a few tests and found nothing, there was nothing in the cultures either so they put it down as cystitis and was put on cystaid twice a day for a month. now he has 1 cystaid a day for long term prevention (bottle of 250 tablets was about £58 which should last just over 8 months)

they said to put him on wet food only so he can get water from that instead of him not drinking much and if need be add a lil more water to the wet food just to make sure he gets enough.

since doing that (touch wood) he has been fine and hasnt had any problems since :)

fingers crossed ratty will be as easy to treat and keep problem free for a long time to come

19. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

Thanks nanamoo. How long ago was your marmalade ill? I'm just trying to get an idea of how long you've been symptom-free, which is brilliant for you both and I'm so happy for you! And, in case ratty gets put on cystaid, how easily do you find they are to give to marmalade?

I've been adding water to their food now, put more water bowls around the house, bought a fountain (fat lot of good - they just stare at it and wonder why it buzzes) and banned any dry food. I'm lucky that, becuase they're both rescue cats, and were so malnourished before the RSPCA stepped in, they'll eat most things, bless 'em. Except fish, or any treats at all. Strange things...

Gonna call the vets this aft about the abdomen twitching - it may be nothing but I need to find out...

20. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

hi goulash, it was about 4months ago since marmalade got sick, the cystaid are capsules that you can open and mix the powder with their food or u can just pop the tablet down the cats throat, i started off with the powder on his food but tried the whole tablet and he didnt bother too much with that, im sure he thinks its food lol (he is very food orientated) if ratty needs to have cystaid try see what works best for you and for her

i too bought a water fountain and the 2 older cats just stared at it and only the dog used it, marmalade used to go paddling in it lol he has only recently started drinking from it so give it time, ratty might eventually start drinking from it

the only prob i have found with not feeding marmalade his dry food is that he misses it and anything he thinks sounds like cat biccies he is there looking for some lol so now he gets a couple of spoons worth as a treat now n again and this hasnt caused any problems

hopefully her tummy twitch is to do with her op site healing, she might be feeling it a lil bit irritating as the wound heals

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice