UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have an appointment with the vet at 2.10 this afternoon. I have told them about Mylo having loose stools since last night. Not full diarrhea but soft with a little mucus. The last poo he did this morning was half very soft and mucusy with little threads of blood in it and half proper poo but there was a lemon pip in the normal half. There was also a little patch about 2 inches across of slightly pink tinged mucus with red threads in it on the bathroom floor.
Mylo was very unsettled through the night but is happy and bouncy and behaving perfectly normally since he woke up except he won't eat.
I can't help worrying but the vet doesn't seem to think it is anything that needs seeing quicker than this afternoon. I have managed to put a sample in a sterile pot.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ah bless. I know how frightening it can be to see blood in their poo, but often with dogs the cause is far less dramatic than we may think. Usually caused through the gut being irritated. Possible causes can range from infections, parasites, 'picking up' something they shouldn't to eat, allergy or even if they have swallowed something with a sharp edge.
I know it is impossible not to worry that something more serious is going on but there are so many things that are minor that it is much more likely to be, try to focus on this.
Good luck this afternoon with the Vet, I hope he/she will be able to reassure you and treat your puppy and Mylo will be back to himself very soon.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Sounds like the lemon pip could be the culprit.
Good thinking about bagging the poop for the vet, don't try and make him eat though, you know yourself when you've a dodgy tum the last thing you want is to eat sometimes, and if he's happy enough then this afternoon is fine for the vet, however if he's goes quiet and down then try and get seen earlier.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like the lemon pip could be the culprit.
Good thinking about bagging the poop for the vet, don't try and make him eat though, you know yourself when you've a dodgy tum the last thing you want is to eat sometimes, and if he's happy enough then this afternoon is fine for the vet, however if he's goes quiet and down then try and get seen earlier.
Well if it isn't the lemon pip it could be either of the two cherry stones or the 4cm x 2cm piece of foiled crisp packet that came out in the next lot. I thought I cleaned everywhere before we got him but he is digging in creases right down the back of the sofa, rooking around the bottom of the skirting boards and can get further under the furniture than my hoover can.
I really think I need to get hold of a playpen until I can do a full 'move everything out spring clean' because he is finding stuff that no-one knew was there.
Not long now to the vet.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi
I have an appointment with the vet at 2.10 this afternoon. I have told them about Mylo having loose stools since last night. Not full diarrhea but soft with a little mucus. The last poo he did this morning was half very soft and mucusy with little threads of blood in it and half proper poo but there was a lemon pip in the normal half. There was also a little patch about 2 inches across of slightly pink tinged mucus with red threads in it on the bathroom floor.
Mylo was very unsettled through the night but is happy and bouncy and behaving perfectly normally since he woke up except he won't eat.
I can't help worrying but the vet doesn't seem to think it is anything that needs seeing quicker than this afternoon. I have managed to put a sample in a sterile pot.
They can get loose and have diarrhoea from stress of leaving mum and littermates. Is he on the same food as the breeder wa giving him? Changes of food can do it too especially if no top of relocating stress.

Usually specks of blood and muscos in the poop means colitis a bit of inflammation of the bowell. Its pretty common and most will often clear up with a light resting diet and something called pro texin prokolin thats natural and contains pecttin koalin and pre and pro biotic. it soothes the gut solidifys the poop and puts back the good gut bacteria needed for a health digestion.

As at the moment is is bouncy lively and active and showing an interest in things I wouldnt immediately panic. Has he been eating OK since he came up to now.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Well if it isn't the lemon pip it could be either of the two cherry stones or the 4cm x 2cm piece of foiled crisp packet that came out in the next lot. I thought I cleaned everywhere before we got him but he is digging in creases right down the back of the sofa, rooking around the bottom of the skirting boards and can get further under the furniture than my hoover can.
I really think I need to get hold of a playpen until I can do a full 'move everything out spring clean' because he is finding stuff that no-one knew was there.
Not long now to the vet.
Didnt read further down and see hes been eating rubbish and things he has found. Might have just irrated the gut as its passed through and thats all it is hopefully. Deffinatey worth getting it checked out with his history though.
Also worth getting a puppy pen for when he cant be watched it he is a rubbish muncher, some are a nightmare Kobi was as a pup.

If he is going to be like this, then he needs watching, if you see him munch something any time and your in doubt always phone the vet, they usually have an idea on the size of the item/size of dog if it could be an issue. If there is doubt you can always get them down there and have an injection to make them vomit but it has to be done within a certain space of time before it leaves the stomach and starts to make its way through the intestines whish is usually where blockages can occur. Big stuff can get trapped in the stomach but often items are small enough to pass out of it but not go the rest of the way.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vet has pronounced him fit and well in general. Listened for blockages but all seemed OK. Said to rest his stomach today. Not sure what she means and didn't ask because I was trying not to cry. Did she mean no food at all today or light diet? Can he have puppy milk? I have Skinners puppy milk as that is what the breeder was using.
I won't ask the vet because I never want to see her again. First time I have been to that practice and she had me in tears.
OH is on his way to get a pen to keep the little man safe.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Vet has pronounced him fit and well in general. Listened for blockages but all seemed OK. Said to rest his stomach today. Not sure what she means and didn't ask because I was trying not to cry. Did she mean no food at all today or light diet? Can he have puppy milk? I have Skinners puppy milk as that is what the breeder was using.
I won't ask the vet because I never want to see her again. First time I have been to that practice and she had me in tears.
OH is on his way to get a pen to keep the little man safe.
Asuming he is on 4 meals a day, I would just maybe miss one maybe two, an then give him boiled chicken no skin and a bit of fresh boiled plain rice, or you can substitute white boiled fish no skin (check for small bones) and the rice.
I would probably keep him off milk for a day or two, puppy milk is usually based on goats milk which is well received as a lot of dogs are intolerant to cows and the lactose in cows milk. Usually you starve up to 24 hours in an adult but I dont like doing it for that long in pups.

Another good thing to keep in is protexin prokolin its all natural, contains animal formulated koalin pectin and a pro and pre biotic to put back good gut bacteria. You can get it on line www.vet-medic.com is where I get mine, that and the resting diet usually sorts them out. In fact if you phone them now on 0800 387348 and pay the extra for first class you should have it tomorrow hopefully if you asked them to get it out today.

I usually keep mine on the resting diet and prokolin until completely back to normal and then maybe for an extra day to make sure. Obviously if it gets worse, he developes other symptoms check in with the vet. usually though you see an improvement withing 24/36 hours if not totally normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.