Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Blood in pee?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jazmine, May 2, 2011.

1. Jazmine

Jazmine PetForums VIP

Noticed this morning that Ollie had done a very bloody wee. Aside from this, he seems completely normal in himself, eating, drinking, playing etc. I am taking him to the vets first thing in the morning but just wondered if anyone had come across this before?

He had cystitis about 3 years ago, which was treated successfully. Last year, he went through a phase where his pee was very dark for a few days, once with blood in. Again, he still seemed himself. That time, the vet could find absolutely nothing wrong, after many many tests. I am hoping it will be the same result this time, but surely something must be up?

2. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

Poor ollie.
    You are doing the right thing in taking him to see the vet.
    Sorry I cant give any advice but just keep an eye on the situation and if it was my cat keep him in to observe him.

3. Jazmine

Jazmine PetForums VIP

He's been in all day, which he is not happy about, he likes to sunbathe when it's warm! I'm taking that as a good sign, I would be pretty worried if he didn't mind being kept in!

He has done two completely normal wees since this morning. Which I find wierd, as the bloody one he did was really severe.

I suppose I will have to wait and see what the vet says in the morning. :confused:

4. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

Blood in the urine usually is sign of a UTI but also things like stones can course it as well, as you say he had a UTI its likely he has another one, some cats need a much longer course of drugs such as cystaid to get rid of a UTI, so you may find the course he had last time wasn't long enough to get rid of all the infection. Good luck at the vets 2morrow

5. Jazmine

Jazmine PetForums VIP

Thanks for the reply, is it normal for the infection to still be present so long after the original event? It was about March 2008 when he was first diagnosed with cystitis. When he was examined after a bloody wee about a year ago, all tests came back clear. Is it possible that the infection has lingered for this long?

As you can tell, I am impatient to get to the vets!

6. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

It's most likely a new infection.

7. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

it is most likely to be a new infection, but if he has had stones for a long time undetected then it could be them coursing the re infection. I would try to get a sample for your vet to test 2morrow so you can get to the bottom of the problem quickly. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice