UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya,

As you know i'm going to be breeding my little lady later this year.
I was told by her breeder she is very likely to be group B, so would be best mated with a B male.
The stud i had in mind is group A, incompatible with my girl.
I was wondering if anyone still puts A and B together, knowing you can hand rear the kittens for the first day?
I am willing to do the feeds for the necessary time.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I dont personally breed A with B, I went to great lengths to get a Blood group B stud when I brought my boy.

I dont think it is worth risking the kittens not wanting to be bottle or syringe fed, this is a very difficult task I have had to syringe feed twice before through no fault of my own or my cats and I can tell you it is hard work and not always successful. I just wouldnt want that everytime a litter is born, and i believe there is still some risk even if they are taken away, getting up every hour to feed for the first week is also not fun.

My queen Blossom got very distressed when I was having to practically force feed her kittens, her milk took 24 hours to come through (first litter) and she was so upset at me she was hyperventilating.

Also by bottle feeding your kittens will not get colostrum from mothers milk so will not get any immunity. Something else to consider.

I do know some people who put any blood group together and just let nature take its course but I couldnt do that.

Is there a particular reason you want to use this stud?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Hiya,

As you know i'm going to be breeding my little lady later this year.
I was told by her breeder she is very likely to be group B, so would be best mated with a B male.
The stud i had in mind is group A, incompatible with my girl.
I was wondering if anyone still puts A and B together, knowing you can hand rear the kittens for the first day?
I am willing to do the feeds for the necessary time.
I think I would also speak to the breeder again to know for certain if she is B rather than "very likely to be B" or have her tested. :)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She hasn't been tested, how would i go about it? My vet doesn't do it.

The reason i have this particular stud in mind is because of his colour, and he's proven, of good lines, and also if fairly local.I'm finding it difficult to find a breeder willing to let me use their stud.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I really know nothing about cats :eek: so excuse my ignorance but could someone please explain why you shouldn't mate different blood groups and why you would have to hand rear?

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I really know nothing about cats :eek: so excuse my ignorance but could someone please explain why you shouldn't mate different blood groups and why you would have to hand rear?
If you have an incompatible mating (a B group girl to an A group boy) the colostrum that the kittens get in the first 24-48 hours contains antibodies that attack blood cells if the kittens are not the same blood grouping as their mother so to prevent this kittens have to be hand fed for the duration of the colostrum so that they don't have their blood cells attacked.

In the best case scenario if this happens is a kitten losing part of their tail & in the worst case they slowly fade & die.

·
Registered
951 Posts
First step is get her tested - I used Animals DNA - they send out swabs and are very very fast with results.

As it happens my girl is A which is fab for me and the mating I had planned. BUT before we tested her we had thought she might be B - her breeder died last sadly and we couldn't check with her and her mum is a CP brit who are often B group.

I was advised for a maiden queen it's not advisable to do mixed blood group mating as taking the babies away for 24 hours can mean a maiden doesn't bond with the kittens .... Is your girl a Brit? There are so many good studs about it would be worth blood testing and then perhaps reassessing your plans so her first litter is as stressfree for both of you?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.