Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Blood Drippin From Puppy Anus

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Dee2uk, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Dee2uk

Dee2uk PetForums Newbie

Hello.
    I shall be quick and to the point here as apart from advising my daughter to go to the vets,I wondered if I could get any advise here.

Much against my wishes my daughter and partner got a 9 week old border collie puppy this Friday gone,and phoned me today (sunday) to say she has had the runs on the first day,(i said change,stress prob did it) but now she says the puppy has had blood in her stools,and also that drips of blood are comming from her anus.Now I know you can have blood in the feces,but to have drips that Im not sure of.
    I have been madly checking up on the net,and even tho Ive told her she must go to vet,I just wanted your opinion,and with all due respect I dont mean opinions on the irrasponsability of buying a puppy,believe me I have read the riot act,but like always Im never listened to.this is purely for my own peace of mind,and Im worried for her myself......Thank you for reading.

2. rona

rona Guest

Possible parvo. Going to the vet as you know is urgent!!!!

3. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

It really could be anything - but it sounds pretty serious. Id get him down to the vets - bloods from anaus is usually to do with kidney/liver damage - though I couldnt say for sure.
    My older dogs on meds and we've been told if this happend to get him to the vets without exception.

4. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I have just pasted this to you, I looked it up to see if I could help you, and this is what I found, hope it helps......................(the following is not me, it is what I pasted for you ok. Hope little one gets well, but defo go to the vets ok. quickly as it is young pup. xxxxxxxx

I am a veterinary technician and a certified animal control officer and I recently did a paper on proper disinfection of the parvovirus. You were correct in asking if flies could transmit the disease!! Parvovirus can be spread on hands, feet, clothing, tools, rodents and flies traveling from kennel to kennel! Dogs may carry the virus on their fur and feet even if they themselves do not get ill. The virus enters the dog through the nose or mouth and has an incubation period of 3 days to 2 weeks (usually 5-7 days). I have found also that the Parvovirus has a very distinct SMELL. The feces (usually bloody diarrhea) is what has the smell. Worms are definitely a possibility since 99% of puppies are born with roundworms and if left untreated can cause a ruptured bowel.

5. Dee2uk

Dee2uk PetForums Newbie

Thank you very much for your help,I shall let you know as soon as I hear.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice