Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Blood compatability

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by kelzcats, Jul 1, 2020.

1. kelzcats

kelzcats PetForums Member

Correct me if i'm wrong. But I always thought from experience and knowledge that a blood group B boy can go with any blood group girl whereas a blood group A boy and a blood group A carrier of b boy have to go to a blood group A girl?

So my question is can an Ab boy only go with A girls?

Someone through a spanner in the works claiming that her Ab boy was suitable to breed with any girl.

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I would only mate a type A stud to type A girls.

I think it is easier to think in terms of simply - it is type B blood that causes the problem and therefore type B girls are 'the problem' and should only be mated with type B males

3. kelzcats

That's what I always thought and done......you know when someone says something and you start to question your own Knowledge and make you think again.

4. gskinner123

Oh yes, I know that feeling very well!

I think there is still confusion/disagreement (depending upon what your point of view is) about BGI. I still see breeders say that they wouldn't mate an A girl to B stud due to the risk of BGI. I have done this mating more times than I can remember over several decades without the slightest problem.

I don't think Diane Addie's info on her site has helped as the blood type mating tables/charts show kittens at risk of BGI but it directly goes against the experience of every long term BSH breeder that I know.

5. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Simple answer no, but it does depend on whether you are prepared to put the effort in or not.
    If you do any mating which can result in blood incompatibility (and there are several possibilities for NI not just a B queen to an A stud) then you hand feed the kittens for 16 - 24 hours and all should be well.

If you are not prepared to put in the effort then you breed B to B only, A to A, Ab or B and Ab to A only.

6. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

In my experience and that of many others, Dr Addie is absolutely correct. I will never, ever breed Ab to Ab or Ab to B and not feed the resulting kittens for 24 hours again. It is not a good death ...

7. gskinner123

Three Ab studs over 19 years mated to Ab girls and I have never lost a kitten to BGI, nor have the majority of breeders I know. It is a mating that almost all BSH breeders will do.

Yes, I know a few who claim to have lost kittens from this mating and from B x B and homozygous A x A matings yet none of the breeders, when asked, ever describe a sign/symptom of BGI.

But I certainly think there is more to the AB blood system than we currently understand. For example the mic antigen - I don't know how much research is going into this but some veterinary manuals advise cross matching of blood for - + mic antigen prior to transfusion. Yet none of us breeders give it a thought

8. kelzcats

Very confusing…… So can I mate my Ab boy with a A girl and a Ab girl? I have been reading so much stuff and find it all very conflicting.
    I have always used a B stud boy this is my first Ab stud.

9. gskinner123

I think you will have to make up your own mind on that :)

I have owned Ab studs for many years, mated to AA and Ab girls and have never had a problem.

Every BSH breeder I know (or even don't know if the subject is an online discussion of BSH blood types and matings) do these matings routinely.

There do seem to be a minority however who will not do the mating

It boils down to whether you consider that an A type girl could have sufficient anti-B antibodies to cause BGI

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice