Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Blind Springer

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Springer-B, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Springer-B

Springer-B PetForums Newbie

Hi Guys

We recently found out that our Female Springer spaniel has retinal displaysia, shes 2 years old.
    Any who we were originally going to breed our 2 springers until we found out she had gone blind..
    We have got Ben booked in for the snip on Thursday, and Mollie has now come into season.. obviously we are trying to keep them seperated when they're on their own etc and I have been warned that Ben could still 'reproduce' 2 - 3 weeks after his op.

My question is.. would Mollie cope with pups if she did get caught, has anyone ever known of a blind bitch thats had a litter?
    We are trying to hard to keep them seperated but accidents do happen..

I've tried searching for info but theres nothing about blind dogs having pups.. please help!

2. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

If I was you I would put one of them into kennels as retinal dysplasia is hereditary and I would not want to put one of my bitches through the trauma of pups if she was blind ;)

3. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

We have 7 non spayed bitches and 4 un nuetered dogs! Im sure you will manage keeping two away for a short while!!
    imo your bitch shouldnt have pups! May be get a creat to put your girl/boy in why shes in season and un attended

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Accidents only happen as the result of someone being not careful enough.
    My dad had to crate his dally when his lab was on heat.
    I have owned plenty of dogs male and female and never had an ''accident''.
    It would be completely irresponsible to let your girl have pups as it is a hereditory disease the pups could be blind too.
    Plus could you imagine how scary having a litter would be when you cant see? Even if she coped with the birth, she wouldn;t be able to see the pups and she would squash them.

If I were you I would get your male booked into kennels or have a friend look after him, as you don;t sound sure you can keep them seperate.

x

5. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

without any doubt - you should not be breeding from a blind bitch. By retinal displacia I think your meaning Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA), any pups out of the bitch will have the same condition, she is an affected carrier (there are 3 types affected, carrier and non affected) the last one is fine to breed from the 'carrier' is also fine to breed from though any pups from that litter will have to be tested before being mated, the "affected" gene as you have seen does not appear until around 3 years of age and will as a result be passed on.
    Do not breed from this bitch ever. Im sorry you have eneded with a non breedable dog though its really luck of the draw if you dont get a health tested dog. You will simply be passing on dogs with PRA to future owners which is not good for them or the breed.

Where did you get her from, you should inform the kennels asap as the dam and sire of your bitch could still be being bred from.

I recently heard of a similar thing coming from Medowdale Heather: sire FTCH Swanway Tornado dam FTAW Evergreen Pride of Meadowdale though I dont know if they are still using them - neither of them are PRA tested dogs.

#5 james1, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice