Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Blind in your minds eye?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by grumpy goby, Mar 17, 2019.

?

How good is your minds eye?

1. Extremely Vivid

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. Vivid

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  3. Pretty good

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  4. Blurry

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Non existent (blank)

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. grumpy goby

grumpy goby Grumpy wench.

So I thought that I would do a poll on this as I am curious to the results, I only just discovered that “picture this...” or “imagine a beach..” wasn’t metaphorical.

I don’t seem to have a visual imagination, or memory. It’s all facts, lists of details, but pretty shallow and factual.

“Picture an apple” - I know what an apple is, I know it’s apple shaped and green or red. I know it’s smooth. I don’t imagine an apple as an image though... apparently this is called Aphantasia and explains so much about how my brain works!!
    My facial recollection is very poor for example, and easily overwritten so I don’t notice small changes but drastic ones really unsettled me.

If it’s a scale of 0 to 10, apparently most people sit at the mid range, there are details and an image but not super hyper realistic (I think a lot of creatives are at the upper end of the scale)

So - what’s your “minds eye” like? If you imagine a beach, what comes to your mind? Is it vivid, detailed? Can you imagine you are there? I am intrigued.... I didn’t know people could do this!!

Animallover26 likes this.
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I always thought mine was quite weak but just testing it because of your post, it actually seems pretty good :)

I can conjure up the faces of my late parents (pretty good) and “see” myself lying on Sosua beach and picture the surroundings and the apple vividly.

I assume the vivid pictures come from more recent memories. I was actually lying on that beach last August (and my sister sends me pics regularly when she’s there and it’s cold and rainy here :D) and I eat apples most days ;)

Sadly, real life images of my parents are much less recent - 27 years ago for dad and 21 for mum :(

I can recall old photos of them much more clearly.

Bugsys grandma, rona and grumpy goby like this.
  3. grumpy goby

I’m very jealous! I got married last year and had to refer to photos when my husband told me he had a beard on our wedding day!! (He’s since shaved)
    Also the night sky was amazing and I’m bummed I can’t recall it, he often recalls the memory and it makes me very envious!! I just thought I had a bad memory to be honest and didn’t realise the minds eye was a literal thing!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I'm visual in everything I do. I see the picture first. Sometimes it's like having a camera in my brain. If I look at a view my mind takes the photo. Weirdly I'm sometimes aware of this (and later when at college I was encouraged to take up photography for this reason - which I do to this day). So yes, I have no issue with 'in my minds eye'. Descriptions to me are visual. My mind does not easily retain facts as it happens so if you asked me to 'describe' a scene I would picture it in my mind and then draw it for you on paper.

My wife on the other hand is factual. We are rearranging the house at the moment and i can picture the rooms and move the furniture around in a picture in my head and my wife struggles with this completely.

J

5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I am good at recalling how something felt but not how it looked. Facial recognition is virtually impossible and can be rather embarrassing

My minds eye creates nothing without huge prompts and visual aids and then it cannot be relied upon to be accurate or even bring forth anything at all

grumpy goby likes this.
  6. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums Senior

I have a very vivid imagination, I guess that's the same thing as 'your minds eye'?
    I can recall clearly events from the past, (sometimes that's not a great thing) in great detail.
    I also read a lot of books and the people, places, scenarios etc in books become very real to me, they become very dimensional, and I can recall certain 'scenes' from books, that may have particularly caught my imagination, in great detail, even months after I've read them.

I've just sat here and conjured up the image of an apple, and I can feel it, smell it , taste it, I can even imagine how it feels when I swallow it, but then I have eaten apples and had hands on experience of them if you will.

I can equally revisit a scene in a book that sticks in my mind and I can see the person, hear him, smell him, I can picture the place he's sitting, feel how cold it is, I can feel the cold air in my nose, I can smell the fire,even smell the food he's cooking on the fire, I can see it as if I'm there looking on. Now that probably is a testament to excellent writing by the author as well as my imagination, but I've never been to this place , as far as I know it doesn't actually exist, I've not had an actual physical experience of being there, but i can make it very real in my minds eye. :)

This is a very very interesting thread you've started @grumpy goby .

rona, Magyarmum, tabelmabel and 2 others like this.
  7. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums Senior

I've just changed my vote, cos having thought about it I reckon I have a very vivid imagination! :)

8. grumpy goby

So, for the yes’s.... Is it like a vivid dream kind of visualisation or something less tangable?? I’m really interested in what I’m missing

(On reading, I get bored on books with heavy descriptions like a lot of epic fantasy novels. I enjoy books which explain more atmosphere than aesthetics)

Rona - facial recognition is a bloody nightmare! I’m glad I’m not alone!! If someone changes their hair, I’m lost!

rona likes this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It’s more like a clear re-run of events, often with dialogue (some I’d rather erase from memory ;)).

grumpy goby likes this.
  10. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Senior

I have really good recollection of places; I can really be there in my head. I think this is a lot to do with ‘mindfulness’ at the time the memory/image is made.

I am, however USELESS with faces. If I saw the lady from the local shop somewhere else, I wouldn’t recognise her. people have to be in context, where I expect them to be.

DolomiTTe and tabelmabel like this.
  11. grumpy goby

But if you think of someone you know well (ie partner, parent etc) can you picture their face?

[spoiler - I can’t, at all. I can list features but cannot visualise it - not really to do with memory of the person or area, or awareness of them... I just see nothing in my head. It’s black space. I can describe their features from memory, but just cannot visualise it. If they then change a feature like haircut that upsets the list of descriptions I get very discomforted by it]

12. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I can definitely picture things - either from real memory or if reading a book i will have the imagined places and people described in the book and 'be' in that other world whilst reading.

Faces. Useless. Exactly as Linda says, must be in context. It's very embarrassing. Until i know them really well. Luckily, i know I've always had this trouble so it's not an old age dementia type thing for me at all

Lack of ability to picture faces is a feature of autistic spectrum disorder. Interestingly, i am not autistic but one of my boys is. And i do have some small quirks which are 'autistic-like' For example, i have an almost photographic memory for car number plates. It's very weird. I'm not into cars at all, not mathematically minded, have never obsessed over trying to remember number sequences but if i see a car parked, and the plate is familiar, i will know I've seen that car before.

The other thing i can't do is to draw from memory. Especially animals. So i can manage cat and dog as they are very familiar but if you asked me to draw a pig, cow, elephant or any common farm/jungle animal, i would be hopeless.

I can't seem to picture how their feet are or ears are. Show me a picture of an animal and i can easily tell you what it is but i can't picture the features well in my mind's eye at all

So - yes i can conjour up amazing images but i think they lack fine detail. It's an overall scene
    My audititory memory is fantastic. I am very good at knowing voices and remembering conversations.

#12 tabelmabel, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  13. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Yes i can. It's not blackness. It's never nothing. Even if i picture a llama, i kind of have a general shape and colour but i just can't think what their ears or feet are like. Or tail. I just can't think of those details at all.

14. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Yes your imagination sounds fantastic! When reading, i don't think i imagine smells and feelings as well as you do but i definitely do go into the world of the book and what is described there becomes real when I'm reading. I get to know the characters and places described there for sure.

Do you have any vivid dreams @grumpy goby? I have amazing dreams sometimes. So vivid like i wake up from a brilliant adventure. When i was a kid, i used to have amazing dreams every night. As an adult, not as often but i have been to some fantastic places in the night! Bit disappointed to wake up sometimes!

Bugsys grandma and DaisyBluebell like this.
  15. grumpy goby

Not really, I dream very infrequently and I rarely recall them. I often remember if I have dreamt but can’t recall anythibg other than basic details again..
    My head is basically blackness.
    I can recall sounds and emotions, but no visual, smell or taste sensations

I beginning to think I am missing out on something, I always assumed that the concept was metaphorical.

16. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

For me it's more of a photographic image (real) than dream like. For example if someone talks of my old house in Surrey I can see the place clearly. In general it wouldn't be multi sensory either. But I can see every detail.

I dream and if I am lucky (and wake at the right moment) I have good visual recall.

J

tabelmabel likes this.
  17. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

grumpy goby likes this.
  18. grumpy goby

I wasn’t making it up ;)

tabelmabel likes this.
  19. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Me too. Sometimes my dreams are so amazing, i want to tell my man all about where I've been but dreams are always boring when you try to describe them!

I had one dream where i woke with the sun beaming down onto my face a couple of years ago. I had been dreaming i was in my flat in Edinburgh in my early 20s. Probably the sun caused the dream as i used to wake to the sun on my face like that when i did live in Edinburgh.

When i was coming round, for a few seconds i just couldn't get my bearings at all. And then i did. The realisation that i actually am no longer 21 was crushing, i tell you!! I really thought i was back in my student days!

20. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Aw i never thought you were making it up - i thought it was connected with ASD. I didn't realise it was a condition in its own right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice