Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Blind crosses or front crosses

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by McKenzie, Oct 5, 2016.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Just after a few more opinions.

When I started agility I had it drummed into me that you shouldn't take your eyes off the dog. Front and rear crosses were promoted, and blind crosses not recommended. My dog is not super-speedy, so I've tended to front cross where possible.

New club says front crossing slows me down and I should blind cross. I realise that front crossing is slower than blind crossing, but not convinced that this actually impacts upon my dog as I'm generally ahead of her anyway.

Opinions?

2. tantrumbean

tantrumbean PetForums Senior

I'm not exactly a top handler, but if you are ahead anyway, then I can't really see a problem doing front crosses and it's probably clearer for her anyway if that's what she's used to. Someone else will probably be along shortly to correct me, but that's what I would do

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

If I'm far enough ahead to get a blind cross in, I'll go for that. The lines - both dog and handler - are usually smoother and faster. It's not often I'm far enough ahead to risk it though. Quite often I walk a course and plan on a blind cross, but in the event end up on a collision course and chicken out.

4. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

I'm a bit late, but...

I am a big advocate now of blinds, but also front crosses too. I love all of the more Europeon handling, but I also appreciate and realise that 1) there is a time and a place, and 2) every dog and handler is different. I previously trained with a trainer who put blinds in everywhere, including where a front cross should be used, and that caused the dog a lot of confusion and tended to either end them wide, set them up wrong for the next obstacle, or send them the wrong way! But then with Maisie, I find blinds work far better where appropriate, also because I have less time for front crosses.

Both are great and appropriate to use, but they need to be used in the right place!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice