Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bless - must be that time of night

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by LinznMilly, Oct 29, 2012.

1. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Turned the heating on this evening. After a while, I'm still chilly. Boiler's been reading just above the low pressure cut-off point all day so checked the boiler again. Sure enough, it's reading a low pressure warning, and because it's a combi boiler, that means I have no heating, and no fire. :rolleyes:

Phoned the landlord to report the fault, greeted the woman by saying I wanted to report the fault. . . Here's what happened next:

Woman: So what's the fault?
    Me: The boiler's reading a low pressure warning
    Woman: But it's still working? :blink: :glare:

I resisted the urge to be sarcky and say "Of course - it's working fine. I just phoned you up at 7:00 at night and dialled the Report a Repair button just so I could have a chat with you about boilers and what the low pressure warning actually means" :mad2: :rolleyes::

Anyway someone's coming around tomorrow to fix it. I'm more worried about the dogs than I am about myself, because it's supposed to be lows of 2*C tonight. I have my winter duvet on so I'll be fine and I've got a halogen heater out to hopefully keep M&M warm during the night.

2. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

You can normally top the pressure up with a combi really easily by just opening the valve underneath it but seen as it's not yours maybe it's best to wait :(

3. skip

skip PetForums VIP

Typical isn't it,always this time of year when things like that decide they don't want to work,hope you manage to stay warm and they're out quick tomorrow to fix it

4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Mine is a combi too, but the boiler sits on a plywood box sort of thing and the valve's behind the front panel of the box, if that makes sense? I'm assuming that's the case anyway because I've seen them take the front panel of the box off to access the valve. I'll take a sneak peak after they've been and see if I can find out how to do it myself.

It's gone off 3 times since the summer alone :rolleyes:: First time I had to wait 48 hours (I missed the first appointment by 10 minutes :rolleyes: ). Second time was about 3 weeks ago. And obviously this is the 3rd.

5. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

If it keeps losing pressure it would suggest there is a leak somewhere, when we had our flat someone had nailed a floorboard down through a pipe :rolleyes: If you bleed the radiators it can lower the pressure also.

If not it sounds as if the boilers on it's way out, it's not fair on you to keep having to go without heating and hot water :(

6. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I've got Milly wrapped up in a throw on the couch to hopefully help keep her warm and Max is lying right in front of the halogen heater as I type. I don't like the idea of leaving it on unattended though (especially as Max will probably stay in front of it all night :eek: ) so I'm in 2 minds whether to sleep in here with them tonight (which will mean kicking Milly off the couch) or turning the heater off.

I've pulled the blinds down past the windowsill and closed the [thermal, black-out] curtains so hopefully that will reduce a draught.

ETA: As far as I'm aware, the boiler was put in just before I moved in nearly 2 years ago.

7. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Butterfly valve underneath usually...turn on ten seconds then back.The dial should show the result.

8. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for that. Pointermum's post above got me thinking, maybe they don't want me to know how to fix it myself because they need to know how many times it's going off??? It just seems strange that they go to the trouble of hiding the valve behind a plywood box for something I could easily fix myself if they showed me how? Saves them the hassle of sending someone out. :blink: :confused:

After going to all that trouble of wrapping Milly up warm, I come in this morning to find she's got out of the damn thing and was lying beside it instead :rolleyes: Next time I won't bother :rolleyes:

9. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Engineer's here now. Turns out it's a leak, so not just a simple matter of flicking a switch this time.

Just my luck :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice