Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Blended Veggies & Meat for the BARF Diet (WARNING GORY PICS!)

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sleeping_Lion, Jun 3, 2010.

1. MrRustyRead

MrRustyRead PetForums VIP

fruits can go in the mix as well cant they?

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

They can, I don't use too many of them as I usually eat them all myself.

The reason they say not to use tomatoes is because they contain solanine, but that is usually found more in the green fruits and leaves of any of the members of the nightshade family. But red tomatoes contain something called lycopene, which is what makes them red, and is what colours your washing up water when you've had something like spag bol, and that's a really good healthy free radical.

I think you've got to bear in mind the old saying, everything in moderation. Avoid things which have obvious risks, such as onions and grapes, and if you're unsure I'd say avoid, my lot have always had left overs with stuff in that some people would say never to feed your dog, like chillies and onions from left over take aways, but they don't get it every day, it's just an occasional *treat*, Rhuna in particular loves her junk food!

3. MrRustyRead

MrRustyRead PetForums VIP

well i am known for being an ocd worrier, at least i have plenty of time to figure it all out before i get a dog.

4. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Poppy gets quite a variety of fruit (not regularly, just as a treat when I have them in and not in great quantity) like banana, apple, peach, nectarine, all kinds of melon, pineapple, strawberries, kiwis, cranberries, orange, pears. Sometimes I put a spoonful of natural probiotic yogurt with it, like a little dessert :D.

No grapes (already mentioned I think), raisins and I'm not sure about sultanas, can't remember so I don't give them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice