Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Blended Veggies & Meat for the BARF Diet (WARNING GORY PICS!)

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sleeping_Lion, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

I was in the same predicament as you when i started ;) so what i did was go on youtube and search for 'how to cut up a chicken' then watched a couple of vids and hey presto! it's really easy if you watch a vid rather than trying to explain it in writing :D

Here's a pretty good simple vid - The Test Kitchen: How to Cut Up a Whole Chicken - Gourmet Magazine - YouTube

You don't need to bother about taking the breastbone out like he does though, once you've got the legs and wings off you can pretty much cut up the rest however you like.
    Hope that helps :)

2. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

Great post loads of very good info and glad to see Im not mad feeding my dogs veggies, they love them but Ive had such negative comments form people saying its not good or unnatural...

3. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

There's debate as to how important veggies are as dogs are biologically carnivores and their systems aren't designed to get nutrition from plants. The fact that to absorb any nutrients you have to process the veggies supports this. Feed a dog a whole carrot and you will get carrot chunks out. The main people pushing things like BARF and the message dogs are omnivores all have a commercial interest in doing so. They certainly don't do a dog any harm on occasion and they often enjoy the taste but isn't required in the majority of instances.

Supplements should be as the name suggests, a supplement. They should not be needed on a regular basis if the basic diet is correct and the dog healthy in all other aspects.

4. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I do feed blended veggies, but they do need blending, otherwise they go straight through, the evidence is at the other end.

Finally got round to getting a chicken and portioning to show what I do, dead easy! One free range chicken, some poultry shears and a sharp knife:

[​IMG]

First, take off the knuckle beneath the drumstick, these go in with the green tripe for the dogs here:

[​IMG]

Next, cut underneath the wings to leave a deep incision, and push each wing back until the bone pops out, then just slice through the loose skin/meat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next, cut down the loose skin right down to the thigh meat, and again, push the thigh back until the bone pops out and protrudes, then you can remove the thigh by just cutting through the meat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now, you should have just the body left, with the legs and wings removed:

[​IMG]

Find where the breastbone is by pushing down the meat, and running your fingers along, then cut down as close to the breast bone as possible:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Use a sharp knife, to slice under the breast meat, and back down the breast bones, before trimming the meat away at the front:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the carcass, depending how large, you can cut into two, as I have done here, or, if the back is quite large, split that into two pieces for smaller dogs:

[​IMG]

So you should be left with two legs and two breast portions for human consumption, and the carcass which is pretty much ideal in ratio for your dogs to eat for a raw diet:

[​IMG]

This is a chicken carcass I get from the butchers, it varies, sometimes I get the backs, or the breast such as here, other times it can be a bit of a pick and mix, but you can't complain for £2.50 for a huge box!

[​IMG]

:)

5. Freddie and frank

Freddie and frank PetForums VIP

i too am finding it difficult to find a butcher that sells everything i need.
    i'm in stafford so could anyone reccommend anywhere?

6. drucil

drucil PetForums Junior

Hi where do you buy your boxes of chicken carcasses from as most of the butchers I have been into in my area say I need to ask at a slaughter house, but the ones close to me do cows and lamb not chickens.

Sorry posted this twice by accident

#46 drucil, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  7. drucil

drucil PetForums Junior

Hi where do you get you boxes of chicken carcasses from and usually how many are in the box.
    The butchers in my area told me to go to an abbatoir as they dont get things like that.
    They are butchers what do they get then!

8. Treacle1

Treacle1 PetForums Newbie

I get mine from a farm shop. It wasn't easy to find one that did it but he only charges about £1 to £1.50 for a massive box which last for several weeks.

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Ask around, or phone around, my butchers buy them in for restaurants to make chicken stock with, and, although the price has gone up over the last couple of years, it's still very good value, I pay £3.50 for a box of chicken carcasses, which lasts my four a week along with their other food. The restaurants have to pay for the carcasses by weight, which is quite a lot more, so if you can get a good deal with a butcher or farm shop etc, it's worth it. I also get free lamb bones from them when they have lamb in, and it's where I buy a lot of meat for us to eat as well, as they are a very good butchers.

10. niki

niki PetForums Senior

Great post and well done for managing to take pics at the same time! I'd be minus a finger if I tried doing both... especially the third pic!

11. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Coo £3.50 for a box of carcasses - BARGAIN!!!!

I pay £6 for 15kgs box's from my butcher although Scott at the dog food co sells the same for £8 but his have loads of meat still on, some necks and lots of skin so one carcass is a whole meal for my Mals. They are all dieting though and can't have the skin so I am getting mine from the butcher again because his are really normal carcasses with just a little meat. He sells me some delicious pork ribs though, all lovely and meaty and what I call chicken 'knees' little bits of legs all kibble sized which mix in nicely with their dinner or are good for indoor training, they love them!!! :D

12. kats56

kats56 PetForums Junior

Loving this thread, just one question....which is best tripe mince or chunks?

13. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

chunks or whole thing every time!

14. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Both, you can mix in other things with the minced stuff but the whole stuff is just as good.

Edited to add, it's quite odd seeing this old thread crop up; I only had Indie and Tau back then, and didn't have some of the equipment I now have, and storage space. So for example, I now mince up liver raw with other things, rather than cook it.

#54 Sleeping_Lion, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  15. MrRustyRead

MrRustyRead PetForums VIP

where can i find a list of fruit and veg they can and cant have?

16. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Google ;)

... Message too short

17. MrRustyRead

have tried that but there is so many contradicting articles.

18. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I'd suggest anything, except too many cruciferous vegetables. But just a good mix of root, pulse and leaf for me.

19. MrRustyRead

most places ive just seen no onion, but some say you can feed tomato then another says no you cant, so confusing!

one site even said that you should not feed your dog marijuana..........

20. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Chuckling at the last one, I'd have to agree with that!

Onion's an obvious one to avoid, although I do use garlic cloves in their blended veggie mix. Tomatoes are a fruit, not a veg ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice