Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Blended Veggies & Meat for the BARF Diet (WARNING GORY PICS!)

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Sleeping_Lion, Jun 3, 2010.

1. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

yep completely agree! I have been trying to find analyses of taurine in a similar form to above for ages! so if you have any info/find any info, please share with me by PM or if you post in the cat section :)

interesting info on the Vit E.

2. ploddingon

ploddingon PetForums Senior

What a great thread, and thanks to everyone for putting so much time and effort into it.

I have searched various forums but this is the frst time I have seen a really detailed explaination of how to prepare, and what to include in a raw diet. It is just so helpful.

I have toyed with putting my pup (16weeks) on raw but have been worried about how he would cope with bones. He used to hoover up his food, but that seems to be easing now, and I am concerned that he would be too 'greedy' with bones

Are bones essential?? I was thinking of using a mix of the frozen meat packs available at [email protected] which I believe has bones minced up in it so would provide some of the necessary calcium, and meat from the butchers. Would that be ok??

I see you don't mush up the fruit and veg, just chop it into small pieces. I have read elsewhere that veggies should be pulped because otherwise the dog is unable to obtain and absorb all the nutrients from it, and that in many cases the veg will just pass straight through the system undigested. I take it that in your experience this is not necessary?

Finally, How do you know how much meat/veg to give to ensure that you are giving enough protein etc. My dog weighs approx 7kg at the moment and is on 3 meals of kibble a day, so what quantities of meat and veg would be right for him?

Sorry for all the questions!:eek:

#22 ploddingon, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  3. katiefranke

Hi there, I have tried to answer you questions for you as best I can below :)

Hope all that helps - I would strongly recommend taking a look at the links in my signature to give you a better idea about raw feeding - especially the practical questions etc links at the bottom, as they give a really good overview of the basics of what, when, how much, where etc too feed.

Good luck! and ask away with any more questions! :thumbup:

#23 katiefranke, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  4. julianne

julianne PetForums Member

A bit i know about taurine .My lad has a bad heart so i need to know taurine levels.

Taurine Content of Selected Foods.

(Mg/Kg )

Item Uncooked (cooked)
    Beef muscle 362 ( 60 )
    Beef liver 192 ( 73 )
    Beef kidney 225 ( 76 )
    Lamb muscle 473 ( 126 )
    Lamb kidney 239 ( 51 )
    Pork muscle 496 (118 )
    Pork liver 169 ( 43 )
    Chicken muscle 337 ( 82 )
    Cod 314 (161)
    Oysters 698 ( 89)
    Clams 2400 (446)

5. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Upping this as I think it's excellent

6. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

up........................................

7. SlingDash

SlingDash PetForums Senior

So this is the topic I've been told about and eagerly waiting for!

What an absolutely fantastic post! This is going to help us immensely - along with all the other help and advice we've had from lots and lots of fantastic people in this great forum!

Surely this should be 'Stickyfied'?!

:thumbup:

8. katiefranke

Ive added it into the other raw feeding sticky as a link for the mo and I am asking if we can get it inserted in there properly too... :)

9. ploddingon

ploddingon PetForums Senior

I saved this post in my bookmarks, but agree, it could be done with being a stickie, loads of really valuable info in it.

10. katiefranke

Its in the other raw feeding sticky at the top. As above im seeing if I can get it combined, but need a way to insert it into the other one.

11. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I will, when I get round to it, do a how to cut up a chicken and get the most of it, type post. Perhaps one of the mods/admin can copy the first post and add it into Katiefrankie's sticky post?

Someone asked above how much fruit and veg to give, I give 40g frozen veg in with tripe on a morning, but I don't necessarily give them this every morning. Dogs are opportunistic feeders, so the fruit and veg bit to me (with the other additives) gives them an extra bit to their diet if you like, to hopefully gain valuable vitamins and minerals. I know my two recognise and will eat fruit or veg if they find it growing, they go brambling, and browsing for various other berries and fruits in the autumn, they love it!

12. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

The veg, Apple cider vinegar and Turmeric is a great idea and i might start doing that. Mine already have a fruit salad a couple of times a week which has apples, melon, bananas and pears in so i think they would love the extra veg in their meals

Im not sure i could do the meat part, if my x step dad was still with us he would as hes a butcher so used to handling meat like that.

How about pasta??? lots of people tell me its good and i should give some to mine once a week with their meal???

13. katiefranke

Ok Ive pasted your main first post with all the piccies etc directly into the sticky raw thread in the initial series of 'raw feeding' posts. Hope thats ok - I have referenced you ;)? I have also linked directly to this thread, so people can read the full conversations and following info etc... :)

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/111437-raw-feeding-everything-you-need-know.html

#33 katiefranke, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  14. TANDYSCO

TANDYSCO PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I was really interested in reading your detailed raw diet info and as a german shepherd owner with 2 dogs both with health issues I am keen to convert. I have ordered the Ian Billinghurst book on the subject. Can I ask if you weigh the veg/fruit or do you simply judge your weight.......am assuming from what you said that you don't need to be too exact. As for the raw meat, have you heard of "Duck" natures best pre frozen bread slices of raw meat/tripe and have you ever tried. Looks pretty convenient but not sure of suitability. One of my shepherds has Atopia the other has just had an arthroscopy for his elbow dysplasia at 10mnths of age! Poor guy!
    You mention e-mail and wonder if you would send me anything that may help. [email protected]

15. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Hi Ian,

I don't weigh their meals as such, but feed by eye, and give them an approximate ratio of fresh food. I'll email you over my rough barf guide, it's a b*gga about your boy with ED, I'm not sure about atopia and what how this condition preents itself, but if you have any info I can look up for you about any raw feeding that is beneficial or that may aggravate his condition??

16. Feefles

Feefles PetForums Newbie

Hi brilliant post!! I was just wondering tho do u cook the veg before u blend it?? Also I have been giving my 1yo boxer tripe every morning for a hole now and nibble at night, but his morning gave him lamb mice with a raw egg and he has had the runs like water!!! My other 4th boxer is fine tho but she is just fed raw, prepack dog food like beef mince and heart, minced lamb, minced rabbit, minced everything basically and she was fine with it, do u think my 1yo is just not used to it or should I stop feeding him raw?? I have been cooking the veg up til now but should it be raw? Thanks for ur help

17. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Coo - makes your mouth water, lol. Well at least it would the dogs! ;)

18. Treacle1

Treacle1 PetForums Newbie

I am so very grateful to you for this post. I'm barf feeding my spaniel/poodle cross and really struggling with all the conflicting information in the books.
    Do you give your dogs added vitamins and minerals? Ian Billinghurst (Give your dog a bone) insists it's essential you add them but Tom Lonsdale tells you that you can make your dog ill by giving them. I haven't yet been able to get hold of a chicken carcass. I've been trying for weeks and weeks but no butcher ever has them in when I ask. Very frustrating. There again, Ian Billington suggests giving chicken wings (which i've been doing) and I buy the Tom Lonsdale book (Works Wonders) and he tells us that it's not safe to give them to anything but a very small dog. Also, one says spinach is excellent another says it's toxic. I don't seem to be able to do right for doing wrong !! lol

19. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I don't give added vitamins and minerals, because I believe if you feed a good range of meat and vegetables etc, you don't need to, your dog should derive what it needs. I add the spices/herbs to boost that range, but other than that, the only additives are oil, kelp and possibly the occasional other thing like glucosamine for Indie.

If you can't source chicken carcasses from the butchers, I'm sure many of the raw food companies do them, or just do them yourself. Buy chickens and take off the meat for you, breast and legs, keep the carcass and wings for the dogs ;)

I've done this info as a guide, if you want it just email me at [email protected], and I'll send it over for you. :)

20. Treacle1

Treacle1 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Can you please post how you cut up a chicken carcass. I've just ordered a spare freezer but, as a vegetarian myself. I don't have a clue what to do with a chicken carcass (if I ever find a butcher who'll sell me one !!!!!).
    Thanks. mellow:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice