Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bleeding

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by 160297, Dec 5, 2018.

1. 160297

160297 PetForums Newbie

hello,
    I recently bred my Staffordshire bull terrier with another of her breed, they tied for 5 minutes once & she bled through the rest of her season so we thought she wasn’t pregnant, but she’s gone off her food, her teats have peaked and she’s gained quite a bit of weight. Is it possible for her to be pregnant? She would be due on the 24th if this month.

Attached Files:

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It's very possible that she is pregnant.

Some bitches do have a blood loss after mating. Most don't, but it can happen.

I would assume she is pregnant and calculate 63 days from the day of mating for her due date.

Do you show your bitch and are wanting a pup to show?

3. 160297

160297 PetForums Newbie

We don’t show our girls, they’re family pets. We just wanted her to have a chance of being a mother before we get her spayed

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Be very vigilant and careful where you sell these pups to.

Huge numbers of Staffies are in rescue and many of them are being put to sleep.

5. 160297

160297 PetForums Newbie

She only came from a litter of 3 herself & them only being tied for 5 minutes once I don’t think she will have more than 2 or 3, but any pups will be going to close family & I will be keeping one myself

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

The duration of the tie has no bearing whatsoever on the size of a potential litter.

She could easily have seven or eight pups.

I really recommend that you buy The Book of the Bitch, which covers every aspect of breeding from mating onwards.

If it transpires that she isn't pregnant, I would give careful thought as to whether you want to breed at all.

Bitches really do not need or want to have a litter. There is nothing in it for them, apart from the discomfort of pregnancy, pain of delivery and sheer hard work of feeding pups around the clock.

7. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

I know it's picky, but I just want to clarify that even those of us with show dogs consider our dogs first & foremost family pets ;)

The whole point of breeding is to improve on the next generation and offer something as a whole to the breed.

As Rafa said I'd expect her to be pregnant and the length of tie has no bearing on the size of the litter.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  8. danielled

danielled Guest

Did you get health tests done on her? Just wondering. Asa side note please don’t mix vet check and health tests up they are two seperate entities.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice