Bleeding..

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Lyrastar, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Lyrastar

Lyrastar PetForums Junior

I have posted on the forums a few times, probs been a bit anxious as this is my very first litter. No amount of reading prepares you fully, its helps but its best to experience it.

But anyway, 2 weeks ago on Sunday passed (Literally a few hours before her 4 week scan) I noticed some dark brown blood, it was more like a clear mucous with strings of red/brown through it, anyway the scanner came and gave her the scan and we seen 7 healthy puppies.
    I mentioned to the scanner about this mucous with blood and he had said that his own girls had experienced this and its nothing to worry about, but anyway this has continued for 2 weeks, on Sunday just passed I got the scanner out again (6 week scan) for reassurance purposes, and everything is fine in regards to the puppies, they have all grown and are all healthy and at the stage they should be. The scanner man suggested that it could be part of her plug coming away slowly due the number she is carrying.

***The blood mucous(slime jelly consistency) has changed over the last 2 weeks slightly, it doesn't drip onto the floor like when she is in heat, it just hangs from the vulva and has to be wiped or it wipes on to whatever she Iying on, there is no drips at all on my floor, like I said it just hangs from the vulva, there is no smell whatsoever to it, she Is well in herself, good appetite, drinking and behaving as normal***

I had a quick chat with 2 vets and they both advised me that as long as there is no smell and it doesn't turn to a near black colour or green then not to worry, and that if anything was going to happen its not something that could be prevented and its part of nature, what will be will be, but they were quite happy that she has had 2 scans 2 weeks apart and they are growing like they should.

So basically my question is, have any of you experienced this? and have any suggestions as to what it could be?

2. David C

David C PetForums Member

It could be vaginitis or cystitis. I would take her to your vet and get her on a course of Synolux, its usually given twice a day for 5 days and perfectly safe for the puppies. I had a bitch with Cystitis whilst in whelp caused bleeding exactly the same and the Synolux cleared it right up.

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I never had this happen with any of my pregnant bitches.

At six weeks gestation, there is little you can do. I would, however, take her to your Vet and get her checked for any signs of infection, such as elevated temperature.

I would be advised by your Vet, not the man who operates the scanner.

ETA - I would take a urine sample when you visit the Vet.

Blitz likes this.
  4. Lyrastar

Thanks

David C likes this.
  5. Lyrastar

I think u have picked me up wrong, the scanner had advised me but also I had spoke to the vet as well.

I also spoke with the vet today and they are not concerned unless it becomes pus like, smells or becomes very dark. So I’m confident it’s not serious was just more interested if people had also experienced the same thing.

David C likes this.