Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bleeding Heel

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by umber, Aug 19, 2009.

1. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Went out this morning to let Flake and Daisy out etc when I noticed a few drops of blood in the hutch. I managed to check them both over and have found that its coming from Flakes heel.

It is still bleeding but he wont stay still enough for me to get a proper look. Its not gushing or anything. My vets open in 3 mins so im waiting to call and take him in... Im going away 2mrw and now im panickinggggg!!!

Any tips?

2. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Umber - calm down, if hes struggling that much i'm sure hes ok, get an antibiotic jab (that way ur neighbor wont have to do anything)

3. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Took him into the vets. She had a good look and said he has not cut himself but it looks like a sore and a fresh one. We are trying to work out why he is suddenly getting them as he had a tiny tiny one on his other foot.

I mentioned they have a new hutch perhaps its something in there. She asked about their bedding and I told her its really cushy with lots of straw and hay she said thats fine. They checked Daisy and she has tiny minor ones too!

The only thing I can think of is their new ladder for their new hutch perhaps we need to sand it down more. Like i mentioned in my other post we were quite disspointed with the quality of the new happy hutch already Sameer has been sanding down parts of it which had splinters sticking out and were just so rough. So perhaps we need to do the ladder too.

She also said his sore was not that bad at all as usually she sees them with puss ewwwww! His was just bleeding a little. She cleaned it with Aloe Vera and then put anti biotic powder on it and gave him an anti inflamatory jab.

She said that they should both be fine while we are away as it was so minor but I am still so worried now!

:(

But I do love my vets today was the 3rd one I had seen there and all of them so far are so totally in love with rabbits. Even one of the nurses is obsessed with rabbits having 3 of her own. The vet sent me round the back after to go chat to the nurse about bedding and just to talk about rabbits as she said it would make the nurse happy lol! The nurse was trying hard to steal Flake and Daisy but I kept a close eye on here lol!

They are a lovely bunch!

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

lol its great that ur vets are so good!!

The only thing I think it could be is the ramp too, I'm sure they will be ok for a couple of weeks. Some people swap the ramps for steps, I am planning on putting some steps in my wendy house when I have time (carpeted ones lol)

I'm not sure if rabbits develop callouses like humans do so the problem might sort itself out

5. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Thats good to hear. No need to worry about going away now.

6. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Yes the ramp does have those little pieces of wood like mini steps on them but I think we need to smooth them over and if they still prove to be a problem when we get back think of something else!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice