Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Blanket sucking...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kaz_f, Jul 28, 2009.

1. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

Does anyone else's dog do this beyond puppyhood?
    My dog does it usually after meals, he likes to go in his bed for half an hour or so and suck (and pummel) his blanket. He is two years old now and I've always been thinking it would be something he would grow out of. Some questions:
    Why do they do it?
    Is it anything to be concerned about?
    Should I let him get on with it or should I actively discourage it?
    It's not really a problem behaviour for me just a bit 'odd'.
    Advice appreciated.
    Cheers
    Karen

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Yeah Dave does it. he lies in his bed and licks and suckes the corner.
    After a while he does pull the zip off, or he has a pillow in his bed as he ruined his cushion, and it had a pillowcase with a 'frill' round it. He took it off! Lol

My friends jrt does it too, and after a while he does end up ripping up his bed.

I am discouraging Dave from doing it as I know how expensive replacing beds can be!

x

3. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

I have a 15 yr old jack russell who does exactly the same.His favourite are socks which he will hold between his front paws while sucking!!He's a very happy,healthy boy so i've never worried.The only thing i wondered if it was that i got him at 6 weeks old (didn't know any better back then) and it was a comfort to him.

4. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Matrix does this to his vetbed he lifts it up into a peak then suckles it until he falls asleep and he is 2 and a half!! I think it is cute, i always thought he did it because he was taken away from his mum at four weeks old?! (she attacked him and broke bones in his eyesocket and jaw so i finished hand rearing him after rescuing him!)

5. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

Ah bless you - I feel reassured! yes I actually think it's very sweet but I've never seen it before so was just worried that he was unhappy but it does just tend to be after meals and yes I've noticed it does often send him to sleep lol! He tends to do it if he's a bit restless but then he also does this thing where he flicks it all around the room (which is annoying) so I have taken to just confining blanket sucking behaviour to his bed :smilewinkgrin:

6. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

7. kaz_f

kaz_f PetForums VIP

Aw how sweet! In your pic which one is the youngest? They're all gorgeous!

8. hollie.hocks

hollie.hocks PetForums Member

Ah thats so sweet, Alf's bed is purely for destroying and humping!

9. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

The little one at the back, That's Louie he will be 1 in 2 weeks :)

10. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

Daisy does this too - she has a specific "blankie" which she has had since we brought her home and she gets very distressed if she can't find it when she is tired.

She was also only 6.5 weeks when we brought her home (although the breeder told us she was 7.5 weeks - only worked it out when we saw the KC registration and worked it back)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice