Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bladder stones

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by hazel borsberry, May 4, 2017.

1. hazel borsberry

hazel borsberry PetForums Newbie

my 12 year old westie has had his 3rd op to remove bladder stones.
    His last op 3 weeks ago the vet missed 2 stones which lodged in his penis, they have done the surgery and said that they have had to make him a new pee hole as his old pee hole could not be used.? I am confused by this
    They also had the stones tested and have said that he has a reare condition I did not take the name in as I was more interested in Zak.
    This condition he has they said that the stones would come back and we should consider surgery again as this would be the 4th time for Zak we are heart broken as he is a big part of our family this is up setting me even writing this,
    Does any one have any good diets to help Zak or heard or this condition that he has
    Thank you for taking the time to read this
    Any info would be greatly appreciated
    Peter

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

There are different types of stones that form, and without knowing which type he has got its hard to help. Struvite tend to be the most common, the second type most found is Calcium Oxalate. Each are made up of different things. Struvite from memory is Magnesium,ammonium and phosphate, and form in urine that tends to be too alkaline
    this one I remember as I have had dealings with struvite with one of mine and I always remember it by MAP. These do tend to be dissolvable and using a special diet if they are small enough and there isn't a thread to blockage sometimes you can get away way a prescription diet to dissolve them and then a maintenance one to keep them at bay.

The second type calcium oxylate is I believe have to be surgically removed there isn't a diet that will dissolve them, but again I believe you can get special diets that keeps the urine less acidic, because calcium oxylate forms when its too acidic and when the urine is too concentrated so they have to have more dilute pee. Sometimes they are given medication to do this too. Diets shouldn't be too high in calcium and calcium supplements shouldn't be given unless the vet advises, but at the same time its a fine balance because I know there is a condition called hypo calcemia which is too low calcium. You have to have foods that are not high in something called oxylates too.

These two are the most common type usually although I think its possible to get ones that can be a mix of the two.

However I notice you say he has a rare condition? So I'm wondering if its unlikely he has either of these two or a combination. There is another type called uric acid or urate stones, some breeds like the Dalmatian have them because they have a genetic problem and have high levels of uric acid which in turn causes the stone.
    Urate stones can also form in dogs with liver problems too I believe.

Different types of stones need different diets and without knowing which type he has its not easy to help. Really you need to speak to your vet, and ask what these stones actually tested as and what the rare condition is too.

3. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Cystine stones maybe? Uncommon, and unfortunately impossible to prevent, though certain medications are sometimes prescribed.

See if you can find out which stones they are, as diet varies with type of stone. Have you spoken to the vet about dietary options?

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice