Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

bladder stones

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by susie321, Feb 27, 2008.

1. susie321

susie321 PetForums Newbie

my dog has reoccuring bladder stones. the vet recommends presciption science diet s/d andc/d but are going to quit carrying it. Any one else feed there dogsomething different to prevent stones?:

2. garryd

garryd Guest

one of my young bitches had this condtion,but she only had cristals ,they passed after a while but she did look in pain :) good diet will help it,My bitch kept passing blood in her wee:( whats your doing ???

3. susie321

She has recovered but they want to keep her on this expensive diet for life. I have heard bad things about science diet and don't want to keep her on this for the rest of her life.

4. garryd

garryd Guest

like i said whats her symtoms ???? My dog only had the cristalls and not full stones so she passed hers! Is your dog passing blood????

5. susie321

She was having a hard time urinating and wen she did it was very small amounts and seemed painful. they did exrays and could see the stones. As they broke up she passed them as well. But now they want to keep her on this food for life. I can't afford it and need an alternative.

6. carol

carol PetForums VIP

dont feed her high protein food find the lowest one you can
    i have to give my dog low protein as its a breed that can get crystals and stones easy and are known for it,
    i found greyhound food one of the lowest just the normal one, not the racing food

7. EllenJay

EllenJay PetForums Member

I know it's not the most appetising but Chappie is very low protein (5.5%), also it's cheap and readily available from most supermarkets. I don't know if it would be suitable for you dog so you would probably have to ask your vet first.

8. carol

carol PetForums VIP

he'll proberly so no as wants to keep the dog on the expensive food so they get their commission.
    but yes chappie is good.

9. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

i'll translate my mum
    "the vet will probably say its not any good for the dog as they get commision for certain dogs foods, it changes every few years. Chappie should be good!"

:D
    good luck with everything

10. yvonnep5261

yvonnep5261 PetForums Newbie

Interesting reading. Our bulldog has had to have surgery for bladderstones (nearly lost him as it was on the point of rupturing, etc. - vet was brilliant). After the third bout in a short space of time - in spite of having prescription diet (hills u/d) the vet castrated him, re-routed the ureathra from the penis to the hole where his scrotum would have entered his body and he now has a bigger wee-hole so that any stones can be passed more easily. I don't order his food from the vet, so no commission involved - I use Petmeds site and have it delivered directly. Vet said will review after a year but we are still having a few problems keeping his urine alkaline and not acid.

Would be interested to have more info on Greyhound food.

#10 yvonnep5261, Oct 14, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice