Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Black Plug

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by draculita, Mar 25, 2011.

1. draculita

draculita PetForums Member

Hi

My girl is 55 days pregnant (second litter) and I have noticed a small dark plug. I have never seen this so early in the pregancy before. The earliest I can see my vet is Tuesday. Anyone experienced this before?

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Sorry I can't help but fingers crossed that everything is ok.

3. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Black would be quite unusual :confused: It's more than likely very dark 'old' blood. Truthfully, there's probably not a lot your vet could tell you or do (if she looks and is acting perfectly okay in every other respect) even if you did pop her along. To contradict myself, it might still be a good idea to speak to your vet on the phone. I think you have to weigh how well you feel she is in herself, i.e. eating, drinking, behaving normally (and perhaps more crucially, can you still feel/see kitten movement?) against how much you feel a trip to the vet would stress her out... you know her best.

4. draculita

Yes its very old dark blood. She is fine in herself and there is kitten movement. I was just wondering if anyone has had this plug approximately a week before labour?

5. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Definitely, yes. Well, to qualify that... I wouldn't so much use the word 'plug' as that (to me) suggests the creamy coloured mucous that girls pass when they're not too far off labour - that I seen anything up to, believe it or not, 10 days before labour started with, surprisingly, a perfectly healthy normal litter born. Blood, whether fresh/old at 55 days, whilst not necessarily a sign of things going wrong, I don't believe is considered 'normal' at 55 days. I know I'm not being helpful but with the handful of times I've experienced this (spotting blood/bloody mucous) with mine over the years, then on a few occasions things didn't go well... but equally I distinctly recall a few occasions where the queen went full term and produced a healthy litter of (all) live kittens.

Did you ask your vet what s/he thought?

6. draculita

My vet is not around until Tuesday unfortunately and I dont trust the judgement of anyone else.

7. Cooniemum

Cooniemum PetForums Junior

It could be from a foetus that has reabsorbed earlier or one that has unfortunately stopped developing and died....I agree that as long as she is wll in herself and the kittens are moving then I would keep her as stress free as possible and not rush her to the vets.

I guess the only way to tell for sure would be a scan and that is a pretty lengthy process for her to go through.

8. draculita

Update...... I took my girl for a check up. The vet said that a little blood can be fine, all the kittens appear to be in the right position and she was having small contractions on Sunday, the vet said that she was probably moving the kittens into position. She is happy in herself and I am just waiting for a hassle free delivery in no sooner than 5 days " are you listening Angie?":)

9. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

Nice to hear the update :)

Looking forward to hearing about your new babies!! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice