Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

black oranda grey-ish patches.

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Daruma, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

my Black/red Oranda ,that i was nuturing after an nitrite spike , has now got greyish patches all over. listless and not over bothered about food. Clearly he was weak after the nitrite business . I cannot see it as fungus judging by pictures on line but not sure. He is in a separate tank with added salt. where to go from here?

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Could you also have had an ammonia spike before the nitrite spike? Could be ammonia burn?

A crushed clove of garlic added to the tank with its juices can sometimes help with would healing. It stimulates the appetite and has antibacterial properties. Remove the uneaten portion after around 12 hours.

Daruma likes this.
  3. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

Thanks. Yes it could be ammonia. I am embarrased at the mess I was in.. GARLIC never thought of that, Its really good for Humans too.

4. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

On closer inspection dont think its ammonia burns much more like fungus? What do you think. pic attached. oranda.jpg

5. NaomiM

Hard to tell, but it doesn't look like fungus to me. I'd be more inclined to think whitespot, but it doesn't look exactly like that either. @magpie @kittih what do you think?

6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

There is possibly some fungus on the end of the dorsal fin. Those fine white spots do look like white spot. OP are there lots of pin head white spots on the body?

Also looks like raised scales on the fish's belly. That usually indicates kidney issues.
    If the fish has been subjected to high andcor prolonged levels of ammoniathen that almost ccerainly will have affected internal.organs skin and gills making the fish vulnerable to attack from disease and parasites. Healthy fish can usually handle parasites etc but when their slime coat is damaged and immune system compromised then it is common to see fungus white spot or bacterial infections.

If you arent already you will need to keep the water spotless. If your water tests are showing any ammonia or nitrites then do daily large water changes (30-50%) and get some seachem.prime yo neutralise the toxins.

If the white spots are white spot then you will need white spot medication. It is difficult to get rid of. Uf it is whitespot give us a shout and we will talk you through what you need to do to assist with treatment.

Your fish looks very unwell but hopefully will pull through.

Do you know why the water quality issue happened ?

magpie and NaomiM like this.
  7. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

Sadly my Oranda returned to the void last night. Just my ranchu to try and save now but he doesnt look too good either Not the same symptoms. Ordered some methylane blue wil either try and bath him in that or get some Erythromycin.

8. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

Sadly my Oranda returned to the void last night. Just my ranchu to try and save now but he doesnt look too good either Not the same symptoms. Ordered some methylane blue wil either try and bath him in that or get some Erythromycin.

9. NaomiM

Sorry about your oranda :( What symptoms does your ranchu have?

If it was whitespot your oranda had, it will be in the tank so you will still need to treat for it or the ranchu will also become infected.

10. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

Thank you for reply. Losing my Oranda hurt a lot, his cute French Bulldog face. I do not believe it was white spot his body seemed to be covered in a film of grey/white.
    The Ranchu ,still showing the red in this fins and red patches on body , has a swelling on his right side. and he lists to the left as if the swelling were an air bag. He swims first thing in morning for a minute then returns to corner of the tank
    I am dosing tank with API PIMAFIX Antifungal that is also for Bacterial infections and holding off other treatments while I try this.
    The Ammonia and Nitrite are 0. This all stems from my messing up the water/filter balance.
    Whatever the outcome I plan to add more gravel and plant up the tank moving in my good old White Cloud minnows.
    Later edit. On looking it is more that the leftside is wasting and the right side is normal .
    It is hard to judge without manhandling him

#10 Daruma, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  11. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

That sounds more like excess slime coat, which is usually caused by water quality issues. Red on the fins & body can be caused by nitrate poisoning, what's your nitrate reading? And is your pH stable?

12. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

Nitrate and Ammonia are 0 now but the damage had been done and I guess the stress they suffered brought on the new problems be they fungal or bacterial.
    Ph has been 7.2 for a long time. currently treating tank with API pimafix

13. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

So ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all 0? I only ask as it's very unusual to have 0 nitrate.

I do hope you can save your ranchu, it's awful when you lose them x

14. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Junior

No, I meant NITRITE 0 ;) -Nitrate is not 0 its low. On master kit colour is not 0 but not yet 5. on a dip tab says 2.5- whatever? its is low. Ranchu is still far from ok but ,unless I am being overly optimistic, he seems LESS bad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice