Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Black moor passed away

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Darcysmith256, Oct 13, 2021 at 7:02 PM.

1. Darcysmith256

Darcysmith256 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone i would like some advice on fish health. About a month ago my black moor fish passed away and i know what he had but i'm not sure how to prevent it/ what the cause was exactly. My black moor was called fish (ironic i know) but anyway we had recently got a new fish and a maybe a week or two later fish got really ill. His eyes were turning cloudy, he was really lethargic and started developing red spots on his skin. Do you think it had anything to do with introducing new fish into the tank?, the aquarium where i get the fish quarantine all of their fish before selling them to the public so i'm not really sure how/ why it happened. Throughout all of our years of fishkeeping back to when i was really young (im 15 now) we had never really had any illnesses/ deaths so we didn't have any treatment for diseases etc. Once i found out that it was red spot disease i immediately bought treatment for next day delivery.Unfortunately red spot disease develops really quickly so when i came home from school he was dead :( i really love my fish so i would hate for anything else to happen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i have only recently got quite invested into fish care.
    Thank you , Darcy :)

2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Welcome to the forum, sorry it’s under the circumstances.

The best thing you can do to prevent new outbreaks or disease is to throughly quarantine any and all new fish for at least a month before adding them to the display tank.

How big is the tank and how often do you do water changes? Do you use dechlorinator?

3. Darcysmith256

Darcysmith256 PetForums Newbie

Hi thank you for the response and for the advice. My tank is around 100 litres and we change 25 percent of the water every 2 weeks. I have a water conditioner that is an all in one (deals with nitrites, nitrates,ammonia, pH and dechlorinating etc) i recently got 2 small goldfish (which is annoying because i didn't know you should quarantine them) so i have 3 now and i wont be getting any more. They are doing very well :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice