Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Black moor fishes bullied?

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by ShanN1997, Jan 5, 2016.

1. ShanN1997

ShanN1997 PetForums Newbie

Can someone please help!
    I've had 8 fish in my tank for a while now, I have moor fish, goldfish etc. Recently all of the fish have been targeting the 2 black moor fish I have. They have both began to develop silver on their scales. I've found one of the black moor fish squeezed against the filter stuck the other day and the fish even attack the black moor fish in the plants I have. I don't know whether to remove the black fish for a while or permanently or is there another explanation?. When I removed the 2 black fish yesterday they did look like they were dying. Can anyone please help??

Attached Files:

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I would separate them out. Sometimes fish will pick on the weaker or ill fish and harass them until they die. It's not uncommon in nature and is seen in other animals too.

Put them in a hospital tank on their own.

If no obvious diseases ( have a good look) then treat with a general tonic such as melafix or Interpet Liquisil. Give them places to hide, keep water quality up to scratch and feed regularly but not too much.

What size tank have you got them in? Goldfish even fancies can become large fish and when overcrowded do sometimes pick on each other. They can also be bullies and males can pester females.

Have you tested the water parameters in the tank ? What are the readings. Some fish are not as resistant to higher levels of nitrate and if you have any ammonia or nitrite present will succumb first. How long has your tank been set up ?

#2 kittih, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    NaomiM likes this.
  3. ShanN1997

We've had all the fish together for over 6 months now. And only recently is when the other fish have been targeting the moor fish. After I've removed the moor fish I've noticed that the larger orange moor fish I have is still chasing other fish. I think I am going to put this fish in a tank of its own.

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Do you have an idea of sex of the fish ? It could me as they are maturing they are having a go at each other. In large spaces the bullied fish can get away but in tanks sometimes there is nowhere to go so the bullied fish will get more and more stressed.. see how it goes keeping it separated for now and give it some TLC and then try reintroductions later once the fish is back to its usual self.

5. ShanN1997

Hi, I srp
    Hi, I separated the black fish for awhile and as soon as they were put back into the tank they were being hassled by two fish. Once I took those fish out no other fish went for the black ones. I have a feeling maybe the two fish I took out are male and the rest of my fish are female which is why these two fish are targeting the black moor fish. What do you think?

6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Could well be. The females tend to be fatter in shape and the males slimmer. Though with round shaped goldfish it can be hard to tell.

7. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

8. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I agree with @kiara that your tank is too small for your fish and this will be exacerbating things. Fancies don't do well in a pond but they are large bodied fish and very messy and need lots of room. A much larger tank will help with the bullying problem. Normal goldfish do much better in ponds. They grow to about a foot in length and can live for 20-40 years.

NaomiM likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice