Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Black Lab Court Verdict

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LoobyLoo, Jul 10, 2009.

1. LoobyLoo

LoobyLoo PetForums Junior

"BLACK labradors were given a legal clean bill of health yesterday as appeal judges refused a £160,000 damages award to a woman who had been knocked over and injured by a "boisterous" dog". Taken from News Scotsman.

I have to agree with this verdict although in my experience why do all the chocolate Labs I come across apear to completly crazy? Not Nasty just straining at the leash, jumping around and this morning jumping up and down on my Norfolk terrier!

Woman loses case against 'dangerous' dog - Scotsman.com News

2. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I dunno about chocolate labs being crazy, or any others for that matter, as the ones I've seen are really calm.
    However, my golden lab IS crazy and very boisterous, but he's technically still a puppy and is just interested in absolutely everything.
    x

However, I am glad with the verdict.

#2 EmzieAngel, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Lack of training? There shouldn't be any difference between yellow, black and chocolate, the only difference there is (unfortuntely) is that because chocolates are more fashionable as pets, you get a lot that have been bred to make a bit of cash, and although good natured, they haven't been bred with temperament (or anything really) in mind particularly.

Good decision, although you have to feel for anyone knocked over by a dog, definitely not the fault of the dog though, just an unfortunate accident from the look of the story. Having been cropped at the knees several times by my own dogs (Indie in particular) I know it can happen so quickly there isn't any time to get out of the way.

4. LoobyLoo

Yes I agree that the incident will not have been the dogs fault and the verdict is one in favour of common sence.

"There shouldn't be any difference between yellow, black and chocolate, the only difference there is (unfortuntely) is that because chocolates are more fashionable as pets"

The owner of the Choclate lab that jumped on Dylan this morning also had a black and a golden (presumably he couldn't make up his mind) that were totaly calm and disinterested with Dylan.

5. acaciabrown

acaciabrown PetForums Newbie

Uh why £160 000???? That's a bit EXTREME isn't it? :confused:

6. LoobyLoo

She sustained a dislocated knee, and required reconstructive surgery. The knee continued to "give way" and to cause pain, and Mrs Welsh had to give up her job as a lecturer in child care at Dundee College

7. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Did she have to give up her job, or did she think she'd get a decent amount of compo :confused: the smell of money can do strange things to even those that are thought of as decent

8. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Labs are labs and labs are just dogs in the end, they arn't vicious (although not saying they can't be as i've met a fair few but down to owners fault) and they are no more silly than any other dogs i've met.

In my experince i've found the black to be more intellgiant/quicker to learn, choclate more food orentated and the yellow much more attached to their owners. This is just what i've seen via dog training myself, but in honest truth a colour shoulden't affect the temperment. (Although sadly many white sheps i've met come with a higher aggression down to idiots breeding them for colour instead of temperment. Although again this is not all as my friend owns two white ones with amaizng temperments)

God knows how many times i've been climbed, scratched, nipped and pushed down by over excited dogs and dogs in play including my own. I had broken leg from barney going head first into it while chasing a ball, I never sued the person who threw the ball as it was nothing more than an accident.

Dogs are dogs, people need to get over it, if they don't like it don't own a dog.

9. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

Strangely, out of the three dogs that have bitten me. Two were black labs. I think that number would have doubled if i wasn't able to get over a fence when purused by two others.

10. LoobyLoo

You don't have much luck!:)

11. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

I don't know about others but a chcolate lab up at where my sister keeps her horse is ABSOLUTELY crazy hehe :)

12. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

There are more people bitten by Labradors than any other dog, and it's more likely to be a black lab for a very good reason, there are simply more of them than any other kind of dog ;)

There is no difference genetically between the colours, my bitch Tau will be mated to a black dog next year, if the dog carried chocolate, then some of the pups could have been choc, but he doesn't. Her pedigree contains dogs of all three colours, there isn't really any separation, its just that the 'working' has been bred out of chocolates as they were (and to many working folk still are) an undesirable colour. The main difference (as with most breeds where there is a split) is between the working, show and pet bred dogs, where ability, conformation and temperament take different priorities to some breeders.

13. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

Agree with this completely, lack of training :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice