Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

black grman shepherds

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by vikki, Jan 13, 2008.

1. vikki

vikki PetForums Junior

hi can anyone give me any advise or information about black german shepherds? we have a white and 2 black and tans but have never had an all black one. are they more desirable? our friend recently bought an all black gsd female and he's had her a week and now wants to sell her :mad:! i'm annoyed at this as he has got fed up already! my husband has fallen in love with the cute ball f black fluff and wants to buy her, but the thing is she has no paper work. and is still only 7 weeks old. he is asking £150 for her. do you think this is a reasonable price? and are blacks any differnet? any info would be much appreciated

2. Brainless

Brainless Guest

Black is simply one of the standard colours in the breed.

what you should be looking for is a kennel Club registered puppy whose parents have been hip scored and sire haemophilia tested.

You will see the results of such tests on the puppies registration doucments next to the parents names. With hips the closer to 0 the better, but any result total for both hips up to the teens is OK.

You should ask what the purpose of the litter was, it should b e to produce show or working dogs, and the surplus as Pets.

I would personally never buy a non KC registered pedigree puppy as you do not know what you are really getting and certainly the breeding is unethical and the breeder will have little or no knowledge for the dogs behind the parents their health traits and temperament.

If your happy to take pot luck, go to rescue and you will probably pick up a youngster, likely originally from a similar casually/badly bred litter, why line this breeders pocket.

PS. just reread your Post and see this pup is already being passed on from the home it's breeder sold it to. Exactly what I am saying irresponsible breeding and homing by someone whose interest in the pups future stops when they sell. Very very sad. Do you see what suffering such poor breeding and homing standards cause? :( :(

3. carol

carol PetForums VIP

she only 7 weeks, they have had her a week, she shoudnt of even left mum until 8 weeks old.
    i would offer abit less and see but thats not to bad for a unreg dog.
    you would have to pay about that in rescue anyway.
    good luck and lets us know and love to see some pic's
    she will prob be better off with you :) :)

4. vikki

vikki PetForums Junior

the thing is the person selling her is not a breeder. we are just offering a loving home for her. she seems very good with her temperment and excellent with young children. i'm just a bit concerned about this dog as the current owner hasn't got a clue what he;s doing with her.

5. vikki

vikki PetForums Junior

thanks for your reply carol. we definatley think now that we should go ahead and rescue her. she was definatley way too young to leave her mum. so whoever it was that had the litter of pups and sold them had no concern for the pups at all and it must of been all about money for them.

6. carol

carol PetForums VIP

id would be inclined to get her out of there as well

7. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Although your intentions are good - is it the right thing to do while you are having trouble with Archie - if the right home doesnt come along for a month or 2 - How are you going to cope with another shepherd in the house who will be romping about too :)

8. vikki

vikki PetForums Junior

that is something we have been discussing a lot. and we have a very large old navy persons house so we certainley have the room. at the moment arnie we have a baby gate on the bottom of our forst flight of stairs and arnie seems very content up there with my eldest daughter on her bed.

9. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Sorry I got his name wrong - Dont know where Archie came from to be honest - anyway - if you have the room in your house then I am sure you can keep Arnie :)

10. carol

carol PetForums VIP

there's lots of people around that want the small breeds,
    old people for example who likes a walk and can spoil him rotten.
    who wouldnt beable to handle the bigger dogs

good luck

11. vikki

vikki PetForums Junior

when you look at it like that i suppose we could. but my daugter is not home all day as she goes to school. and we can't watch him 24/7 and you never know in that one instant that we do not watch the enevatble could happen as we just found out by our friends chihuahua being ripped apart by two jack russles which really upset us

12. carol

carol PetForums VIP

oh poor dog
    they are so small and with a very big ego
    they dont think there small things
    hope your friends dog is ok??

13. vikki

vikki PetForums Junior

well hopefully someone nice will come along and want to give arnie a nice home.

14. vikki

vikki PetForums Junior

no he was an eight year old smooth coat chi. the daughter works for people who owns the jack russells and babysat them for the day. but she was very stupid and put the two jr's in the kitchen with the chi. david was the first to get back and what he came back to when he opened the kitchen door was horrible. the dog was ripped apart and the 2 jr's were just wagging their tails. i can't believe she would lock 2 dogs she dosne't know in with such a tiny chi. it was her own fault really but they are devasted and the thing is they wont report the incident as the daughter dosen't want to loose her job

15. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

In my experience and everyone else's I've spoken to, black shepherds tend to be the nicest temperement apparently. Obviously this isn't true in all cases!

16. carol

carol PetForums VIP

thats bad i look after peoples dogs while there away
    and i would never leave dogs alone with my dogs that they dont know
    i would cage them
    my regular customers there dogs are well known so are ok if fact they love to come and cant wait to stay. some cant get in the house quick enough
    i had 1 gsd he was so funny, he knew when i was coming to get him and when i used to take him home he would run in say hello to everyone then run back out into the van and sit there,
    we had to drag him out.
    really miss him so much sadly he passed away.

17. carol

carol PetForums VIP

nope there is a lady down the road from me her black gsd are fighters
    and the guy down the road from her are as well
    they are mean dogs

trouble is these 2 people inter breed the dogs to much they have both been investergated

18. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

I have a black long haird GSD and hes the most beautiful good tempered dog i have, had can do anything with him never heard him growl and not a barker, loves my grandkids and can take anything from him even out of his mouth hes wonderful very young yet though 9 mths gets on with my black and tan wonderfully .

19. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

I would agree with Brainless regarding colour. However, please remember that some dogs genuinely end up at rescue homes through marriage breakdowns, or changes in circumstances.

I strongly believe in re-homing animals of all kinds, since turning your back would see many healthy dogs and cats euthanised through lack of people coming forward to re-home.

If you get her insured, this would help cover any medical problems, but you could always ask the owners if you could get her health checked, before re-homing her. I would strongly suggest that if they agree, you get this in writing.

German Shepherd Dogs make extremely loyal, and steadfast pets.

20. vikki

vikki PetForums Junior

we have now taken her on.we picked her up last night. she is actually very underweight and her ribs are sticking out. the owners were feeding her on bakers complete adult food! how on earth was she meant to chew this very well!! we have bought her proper puppy food and she is already playfighting with our other shepherds and enjoying herself. although we did have to go through that puppy routine all over again where she howled all night. so i have not had much sleep! but she's worth it. i will add a picture later when she sits stil for 5 secs lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice