Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

black blood in stools?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by PoisonGirl, May 4, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Does anyone else know what this might be?

Vet has taken tests and done an x-ray but is a bit baffled because she is physically fit otherwise.

She has had fresh blood in stools and then mucousy, has been eating alot of grass and sick a few times. Now the poo has black blood in it, looks tarry.
    She is on a strict diet of rice and stock only (chicken) and has not been getting any other treats etc.
    She is now on antiB's for a urine infection too, she is peeing and drinking way more than normal and the urine sample was cloudy/rusty colour!
    She has gotten way more cling and whingy.

Apart from that she is her loony self and happy to run about and go walks and play.

(not for me, a friend who does not have internet)

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Black blood in stools would be indicative of bleeding in the upper digestive area, probably stomach, but could be oesophagus, the blood is dark because it has been acted on by stomach acid. Fresh blood would be from lower digestive tract, bowels or rectum.

Obviously I am not a vet,but as owner would be thinking of some kind of gastro enteritis? The rusty colour in urine could be blood if she as a urinary tract infection.

Hope she is okay.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Has the vet done a 3 day fecal test? Certain parasites like coccidia a protazoa organism and certain types of worms can cause blood in the stools. Normal wormers dont kill coccidia and all parasites.

Has she been on Non steriodal anti inflammatorys? they can irritate the stomach and can cause bleeding, ulcers can also cause bleeding and tarry stools.

Has he checked for any blood clotting disorders? that would/could be another cause of dark tarry stools.

What breed/mix is she? certain breeds have hereditary diseases/clotting disorders.

#3 Sled dog hotel, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
  4. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Tummel had this(not the urine infection) but he had both black blood and fresh blood. Vet says possibly gastroenteritis but after seeing how well he's done on anitbiotics she agrees with me that a piece of rabbit spine cut him a few times and the cuts are infected. He finishes his tablets tomorrow and you wouldn't know now how ill he'd been. His poo went from normal to soft, then just liquid, then soft and now normal again. My vet said rice and chicken but Tummel doesn't eat rice very well so i bought a few tins of chicken and rice chappie, he wasn't impressed at first but has now eaten it all with kibble. He's a bit sleepy from the antibiotics but thats ok.

Oh i forgot to add, he was vomiting within minutes of eating, the day i took him to the vets he wouldn't eat or drink. She gave him 2 injections(antibiotic and antiemetic) and a rehydrating powder which he rather enjoyed(it was called lectade) and when i went back the next day he was much happier, actually even within a few hours of the vets he was feeling better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice