Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

bizarre hair clumping?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by csut, May 23, 2018.

1. csut

csut PetForums Junior

my 3yo birman boy has developed a really weird clump of hair on the side of his neck. it's tightly clumped and fairly solid (compared to the rest of his whispy neck hairs) and sticks out, looking like a little stick of candyfloss or something.

I first noticed it a couple of months ago and decided to snip it off at the base (strangely enough the hair at the very base section felt normal, not clumped), but it has now grown back in exactly the same way!

any ideas? it doesn't seem to bother him at all but I'm curious. - p.s. there's been no change in his diet/location/behaviour etc..

pic:
    20180523_011502.jpg

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I think this is fairly common. My cats get them. They can be nicely groomed one day and then the next day one of these appears.

csut likes this.
  3. csut

csut PetForums Junior

hmm, well he only has this one clumpy bit...it's the fact it grew back in the exact same place after I removed it which I find curious

oh well!

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

It’s probably caused by a repetitive grooming movement or rubbing up against a particular surface.

Summercat and csut like this.
  5. csut

csut PetForums Junior

hadn't thought of that... he has the occasional neck-scratch. nothing obsessive though, and I never see him pawing at this thing...

anyway I just thought I'd ask here, in case it turned out to be a classic tell-tale sign of something more serious, but I guess it isn't?

6. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@csut
    Nope just matted hair.

csut likes this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

What's his diet?

How often do you groom him?

Even if it doesn't seem to bother him, that's a cat's nature, to not show discomfort. Mats do hurt, because they pull and twist the skin.

I recommend you get in the habit of grooming him several times a week, and, after cutting the new mat off, grooming that area daily.

csut likes this.
  8. csut

csut PetForums Junior

as a birman he doesn't really shed much hair anyway, but he gets a thorough groom with a brush once a week (which he loves). maybe I should up that to once every couple of days. and I'll remove the matted clump area again

thanks a lot people appreciate the advice!

9. csut

csut PetForums Junior

missed that bit.... bowl of meowing heads dry food in morning, sachet of Royal Canin in evening (+ 2 kitzyme tablets crushed in), one "fish stick" thingy for lunch. strictly no other snacks or treats! can't imagine his diet would've suddenly brought this on though...

10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

It is currently the moulting season, as you know, so cats (both longhaired and shorthaired) are shedding more than they would at other times of the year. Loose hairs can get trapped in the fur and cause the kind of matt you describe/show in your photo. The solution is to groom the cat every day, at least at this time of year, and use a fine toothed comb, not just a brush.

It is possible your cat's coat is a bit dry, which can make the risk of matting more possible. I would give her an Omega 3 fish oil supplement 3 times a week. This can be salmon oil or krill oil (but not cod liver oil). My cats prefer the flavour of krill oil.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Krill-Oil-...id=1527161267&sr=8-3&keywords=krill+oil+500mg

Give the contents of one capsule 3 times a week mixed in her food. (Snip off the end of the capsule with a pair of small scissors, eg. nail scisssors and squeeze out the oil)

csut likes this.
  11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

It is never "sudden" when a poor diet causes problems. It seems sudden, but it's something that builds up over time. I would recommend you transition your cat to an all wet diet, and add better quality foods into the rotation, if you don't want to give up the RC completely.

Feed more pates (also called loaf) as they are, generally speaking, lower in carbohydrates than pouches. And as chillminx suggested adding an omega 3 a few times a week can help too.

I would groom that neck area daily.

csut likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice