Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bitten by dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by AshleyM1921, May 31, 2017.

1. AshleyM1921

AshleyM1921 PetForums Newbie

Hi

I was looking for some advice, I hope this is in the right place.

Yesterday I was bitten by a dog and I don't know if I should report it or not?

I was dropping a CV off to a pub yesterday morning. The landlady of the pub was in the beer garden at the back doing some cleaning, the pub was closed. She told me to come through the gate and hand my CV to her. I did and was standing talking to her for a couple of minutes when this huge what I think was a Great Dane, I'm not too sure but he was absolutely massive, came running out the back door and towards me. It felt like he wasn't happy with me being there and it felt aggressive as he was growling whilst running towards me. I think I let out a little scream as he got to me (probably not the best thing to do) I then turned my back on him. I didn't really have time to think about what I should do.

When he got to me he jumped up and bit me on the shoulder. I have puncture wounds where it looks like he has put my whole shoulder in his mouth. I have bite marks on the front above my breast and on the top of my shoulder also on my shoulder blade at the back, so his whole mouth has gone over my shoulder. I also have what I think are puncture marks from where his claws have dug into me on the right of my back. Whilst this was going on the landlady was shouting at him to get off me and hitting him with something and also slapping him, I was just trying my hardest not to fall over. Once he got down off my back he started jumping up at me and sort of lunging at my face? After that he nipped my arms and hands a couple of times, so I also have a few bite marks there.

I couldn't even try and get away because I was backed into a corner and the dog was sandwiched between me and the landlady who was hitting him. The landlady eventually managed to drag him away by his collar (which she could barely do) but she managed to get him back inside the pub. The landlady seemed very flustered obviously, she asked me if I was ok which I said I was and left swiftly.

I was very shaken up and today it really hurts when I try to move my arm and I can hear something sort of creaking in my shoulder. All of the teeth and claw marks feel very swollen and bruised. I've not been educated in what to do when a dog comes at you like that or what you should do afterwards.

I don't know if I should report it? I don't know if I should go to a hospital? I don't know if I should just leave it and forget about it?

What do I need to do or what would you do? Thanks.

2. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Yes, you should absolutely report it!
    I'm so sorry this has happened to you. Please also get yourself to a doctor and have those bites checked out.

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Go to hospital, you need it cleaned and probably antibiotics and they will have to report it

4. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

If you have puncture wounds you need antibiotics as dogs can carry a lot of germs on their teeth. So I would visit a walk-in clinic today if you can't get an appointment at your own GP.

To be honest, you did instinctively the best thing when he came at you. You turned away from him, preventing him from biting anything more vulnerable.

And that landlady is an idiot.

cbcdesign, MiffyMoo, Sarah H and 5 others like this.
  5. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

Report this immediately....the pub is a public place and if it were to get loose on a busy day someone else could be attacked.

Priority:

Report to police

Seek medical treatment

Take photos of wounds perhaps a nurse could do it...try to set your phone /camera up so it pits the date with the picture....its all evidence

And if she offers you the job decline it i wouldn't want to work in a place with an out of control dog

6. AshleyM1921

Thanks I will go and get them looked at asap today.

Who do I report the dog too is it the council? I feel a bit bad reporting as I've been told before that some dogs are put down? what happens after you have reported a dog? if so I don't think I want that.

7. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

you need to head to A&E straight away!

This was an out of control dangerous dog

Defiantly needs reporting !!

smokeybear likes this.
  8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

If you report it to the police they will do what's necessary. It really needs reporting , the dog will probably be examined by a police vet and assessed.

9. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

It's hard to accept that the dog could maybe be put down but please think about how you would feel if a child was injured or even killed and you didn't report it? especially as the dog is on public property.

10. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

This isn't your problem. I can see what you mean, because I'd be the same, but for all you know you might not be the first, and may no be the last. Imagine, for example you find out it has happened to (pulling a number from the top of my head) say 2 other people, and they never reported it, either. If they had, you might not have endured the attack.

Now, imagine that you don't report it, and it happens again. How would you feel, knowing that because you didn't want the dog to be pts, someone else has been hurt, perhaps worse than you were?

It's not your fault that this dog was dangerously out of control. It's not your fault the owner couldn't control her dog. Whatever happens to the dog, it's on the owner - not on you.

#10 LinznMilly, May 31, 2017
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  11. AshleyM1921

I don't know how to answer someone individually on here but thank you for the advice.

I think you are all right and am going to report right now :(

smokeybear, StormyThai, rona and 2 others like this.
  12. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Please don't feel bad about reporting the dog. The dog may not be put down, but even if he is, a humane death is not the worst thing that can happen to a troubled dog.
    Another way to think about it is, you reporting the dog could quite literally save someone else's life.
    Dogs who are involved in serious or fatal incidents have nearly always been involved in prior incidents that were not reported or that the authorities did not act on. It is so important for incidents like this to be reported.

13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would report to police and dog warden.

It doesn't necessarily mean anything will happen to the dog, but the owner should be made to manage it better and keep the public safe.

Think of it this way - if you don't report it and it savages someone (or kills them) how would you feel?

The dog is not your responsibility.

14. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Just to agree with others. Photograph your wounds before treatment, go to a&e to have it checked and get an up to date tetanus if needed. Get them to help you take photos before and after the injury is treated. Make a written factual note of exactly what happened as far as you can remember. Try and keep assumptions out of it just stick to the facts, include anything the landlady said and did.

Report this to the police. They should take a statement. They may find it handy to have a copy of the written account you have made.

Ask the police whether they will be contacting the dog warden. They should but If not, contact your dog warden as well. Their number should be under your local council details.

If you want legal advice then contact Trevor Cooper as he is an expert Re the dangerous dog act.
    http://www.doglaw.co.uk/

Please don't avoid reporting it as you feel sorry for the dog. Chances are he won't be pts but if the owner learns from this that she needs to manage and control the dog properly then other people will no longer be at risk.

Hope the wounds heal quickly.

Calvine and Lurcherlad like this.
  15. El Cid

El Cid PetForums Senior

Report the incident, the owner could not control her dog.

smokeybear likes this.
  16. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

A child who was in the beer garden with its parents could be killed by a dog that size. I'm assuming the dog belonged to the woman who was pulling it away...or did you leave before you asked any questions? As previous posters said, get your bites checked out and report the incident. Hope you are feeling better now. It must have been a nasty shock.

17. applecrumlin

applecrumlin Oh Help Oh No it's a Gruffalo

I'm a postwoman and one of my colleagues has reported several dog bites over the years. The dog warden has actually given him the choice of whether the dog is PTS or not - I'm not sure if this is official policy or small -town informality!

rona likes this.
  18. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

Report this dog to the dog warden and to the police get yourself to A&E as soon as you can there are many infections that could be in a dog bite and get someone to take pictures of your injuries too This is a dangerous dog and could hurt a small person so as others say you must report this as soon as you can

smokeybear likes this.
  19. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Please go to the hospital to be treated properly, get photographs of your wounds and report this to the police.

It is absolutely unacceptable that anyone should be attacked in this way whether on public or private property and the owner is extremely irresponsibie.

See here for more information.

http://www.doglaw.co.uk/section-3-dangerous-dogs-act-1991/

20. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Good grief I have never heard such a thing! It is not within the dog warden's remit to decide whether or not a dog is PTS and they are acting well outside their boundaries.

No idea where you live but if I heard such a thing I would be reporting said dog warden to the authorities!

cbcdesign likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice