Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Biting

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by smegs1978, Aug 11, 2009.

1. smegs1978

smegs1978 PetForums Junior

Hello all,

I am after some advice, Barney who is now 15 weeks and likes to bite everything, which i know is quite normal as he is a puppy, i can handle him biting my hands and fingers as i just say "no" and give him one of his toys to play with.

However my problem is that if the kids are lying on the floor then he will bite there hair and nip at there face, i know he is only playing but the younger 2 (2 and 5) are getting a bit upset. I have just been moving him away from the situation and telling him "no", i have also tried to explain to the children that they also need to tell him no.
    Is there anything i can do to stop him doing this, will he grow out of it?

I am worried that he will become agreesive and i won't be able to trust him.

2. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

Hi , I have a 21 week old lab puppy and she did exactly the same to my 3 year old....she would bite her hair and jump up at her etc and my 3 year old would be covered head to foot in scratches and cuts but it has eased now and is getting less and less as my puppy is getting older. When ever it did happen I would say no straight away and stop my puppy from doing it. Also I was told when my daughter screamed when the puppy scratched and bite her it would excite the puppy and the puppy may see her as a "giant squeaky toy" ..which I can understand now..... I am not sure if any of this has helped but it has eased now and is getting less and less xxxxx

3. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Sounds like normal puppy behaviour to me, doesnt mean he will become agressive at all. Keep reminding kids to tell him no, they will get it one day lol and show them how to train him too, put him on a lead and let them walk him round the garden properly, to dog will learn that they are like you and he will show a bit more respect for them, i got young kids that do exactly the same lol.

4. smegs1978

smegs1978 PetForums Junior

Phew.

Thanks for the lovely response.

I thought i would get loads of negative replies, saying it was my fault.

JennieJet i liked your description of barney seeing the kids as a big squeeky toy, it made me laugh.

5. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

hehe...... I had previously started a thread about it as I was worried that my 3 year old would start to be frightened etc as it was mainly her that my puppy went for all the time and someone wrote back that the puppy probably just sees her as big squeaky toy . I have to agree that probably does make sense as my daughter is forever playing and flapping her arms etc so puppy goes for her and then she screams.....It does get better trust me...we have had Jet since she was 7 weeks old and she is now 21 weeks..she hardly ever does it now.....we do try and tell my 3 year old not to wave her arms around right in front of Jet and to ignore her ...doesnt always sink in with a toddler !!! Please dont worry I think it will probably improve as your puppy gets older as it has with mine..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice