Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Biting!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Booska, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Booska

Booska PetForums Newbie

Hello, I've had my bunny for nearly 2 weeks now... She's nearly 12 weeks old. Last few days when I try to stroke her she bites my finger not hard and only for a second, she has a large hutch and goes in a run twice a day for an hour or more. She is fine with me other than stroking her, I could be sat on the floor and she sits on me, cleaning hutch with her in there is fine, she comes a puts her nose on mine when at same level, and when she eats she's ok with me stroking her face. I'm so confused by it. I need to get it to stop as I have 2 toddlers who love her and like stroking. She's a mini lol x

2. Booska

Booska PetForums Newbie

Mini lop*

3. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

Bunnies do like to tell humans off, this can be with teeth or claws (see: boxing). My dwarf lop girl was highly aggressive when she arrived in rescue, only calmed down after she was spayed. She'll still tell a human off though.

I recommend learning to read her body language, you could be reaching in to stroke her and she's already giving you loads of "back off" signals with her body language. Dumb humans aren't rabbits though so if we don't read their body language properly they learn the only way the human will listen is when they get the teeth out. This is worth a read: http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

I also recommend attaching a large secure run to her hutch so she can play 24/7. Having to move her from hutch to run can result in her having negative associations with hands - they don't want to be picked up ever! There's some good ideas here:
    http://www.thebigrabbithutch.co.uk/outdoor-ideas.html

My two have a 6x4 custom build rabbit shed attached to a 10x5 aviary with solid roof. They have 24/7 access to the whole lot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice