Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Biting

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by dogsdinner, Feb 8, 2008.

1. dogsdinner

dogsdinner PetForums Junior

I got a rescue NFC he's now about 6 months, came very thin and pathetic hardly any coat and hard to handle almost like a feral. He's now looking good and grown a lot. He's out in the daytime in acres of wild countryside and no traffic and in at night. He's much better to handle and purrs a lot when I pick him up and fuss him but still nips any bit of me within reach especially when being groomed. Not nasty but I want him to stop it in case he does it visitors. He's got loads of toys and a tree branch indoors to play on so he's not bored and seems well settled in other ways. Any idea's on the biting?

2. Play with him a lot but as soon as he starts it - take your hands away; and again...and agin.....Normally it does the trick.

3. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

Is it when you touch a particular area or just touch him in general? Sounds like he's just not used to good touch yet-so maybe just touch his head every now and then and take it from their, time will bring trust for this lucky lad i'm sure:) Let him take the lead for touch, as usually the best way to befriend a cat is to "ignore" them-and he will want to come and befriend you,this way it's all on his terms at his leisure and you will soon build up trust and understanding:)Do let us know how you both get on and of course when he's ready-pics would be great:)

4. dogsdinner

dogsdinner PetForums Junior

Thankx for the replys we had a breakthrogh the other day when I picked him up he gave me a big butt on the face with his nose then put his front paws round my neck and did it again he was purring away. I did a bit of grooming and he was a bad boy over doing around his back legs underneath and nipped again but i will do a bit at a time his coat isnt matted just gets bits of twigs and stuff in it esp his tail after hes been out.
    i suppose I need to be patient he's still a kitten.

5. Iceking

Iceking PetForums Newbie

This is true, with older dogs you will have to go over this a lot as it will not learn as quick, and it may have been not taught properly not to bite when in rescue care.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice