Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

biting

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by lindageary16, Mar 26, 2011.

1. lindageary16

lindageary16 PetForums Newbie

Hi I am a new member. I have an 8 week old Pug puppy, he will not leave my 4 and a half year old French Bulldog alone, any suggestions how i can stop this, the poor Frenchie isn't too happy.

2. Minette@dogtrainingsecret

Minette@dogtrainingsecret PetForums Newbie

It is your Frenchie's house and the new pup needs to recognize and respect this!

Whenever I bring a new dog or puppy into my home I keep them on a leash and with me in the house, that way they can't...molest the cat, or chase my other dogs, or eat my son's underwear!

Not only will this make your Frenchie feel more comfortable in his own home, this will also give your pup some boundaries! If your Frenchie wants to play he can come into the pups area to make this choice!

Make sure you give them each some one on one time so there is no competition. Let your pup take breaks and sleep in his crate when he is sleepy which will help your older dog feel more at home as well!

Also, make sure you are exercising your pup properly and providing him with good positive reinforcement training and exercising his mind!

A tired pup doesn't have time to chew on other dogs or things in his environment!

3. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

The pup at 8 weeks ought to be exploring things in the house and garden, and seek to play. Unfortunately that drive, may not be appreciated by the adult dog, and pup's get ignored or warned off when they persist, which they do need to learn to respect. I would look for puppy play & class opportunity in your area, which can be started once immunity is kicked in, so the pup has more outlets than just your Frenchie.

I would give the pup supervised things it can chew, and try to keep the pup's excitement during play at reasonable levels, by calming breaks. Also reward calm behaviour you do see.

To be clear, the first responder did not mean I think, to walk your pup lots, but more to allow it many different experiences and space, they definitely do not need waking till they drop! In fact an over-tired puppy may have trouble settling down and sleeping, if it keeps going in a frantic excited state for too long.

Take a look at Dog Star Daily for some top advice on puppy rearing Raising A Puppy and Dog Star Daily Free Download Aricles

#3 RobD-BCactive, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice