Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Biting rats :(

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Sophie_xxx, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Sophie_xxx

Sophie_xxx PetForums Member

Hi all

I have 4 girl ratties. The eldest sisters are about 8 months old now, they are friendly and never bite. However, my 2 younger dumbo sister rats who are about 4 months old keep biting when you put your fingers near them.

At first it started off with the most dominant sister, Baby who occasionally used to do it. We never thought anything of it, we thought she was just being playful because she would grab your finger with her paws and just mouth it :p But now, the pair of them are literally lunging for your fingers when you go near them. They do not do it all the time but enough to get me worried.

I decided to post here today because I have just been badly bitten by Pixie, who is usually the least hyper and more shyer sister. She drew blood and Im really worried they will get worse with age.

Why are they doing it? My fingers dont smell of food, and they dont do it all the time. Is it a terrortorial thing? Why dont the older girls do it? :confused:

2. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Ok there is one thing you can try. It might sound silly but it can work. When they bite you , you have to squeal as if you are a rat being bitten. Like a sort of eeeek or eeeep sound. This is known to work in a lot of cases. Do you feed them any treats through the bars of the cage?

3. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

There is something else you can try. Put some yoghurt on a teaspoon and hold it out to them. They get the treat if they lick it off and if they bite they get the cold hard metal spoon.
    Do your rats have pink/red eyes?

4. Sophie_xxx

Sophie_xxx PetForums Member

Thanks for the reply.

Pixie who bit me badly today has red eyes, as do the 2 older girls. Baby, the only one with dark eyes is the one that is usually the worst at it though.

And yes we do usually feed them treats through the cage, but they are very gentle when taking food! Its strange.

5. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

Ok the rats with red eyes have very poor eyesight so they may be biting because they can't see your fingers properly and are biting anything near their noses. Do you ever notice your pink eyed rats sit with their heads swaying from side to side? This is because they are trying to visualise depth and shades of colour to help them see.
    I don't feed my rats through the bars of the cage as it encourages them to bite anything that comes through the bars.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice