Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Biting puppy doesn’t listen!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Elliot and Atlas, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Elliot and Atlas

Elliot and Atlas PetForums Newbie

Thank you for all the help with Atlas’s toilet training, he’s doing so well with it and there are minimal accidents! Unfortunately, another “problem” (I don’t like to call it a problem, since, of course, it’s not his fault because it’s in his nature to mouth and bite!) has arisen.

Atlas is extremely playful and with that comes a lot of biting. He’s better with me, the primary owner, since I tried (note: tried) from the very beginning to get him out of the habit. But nevertheless he still won’t stop. He gets over excited to the point of zooming everywhere and biting everyone until he’s huffing and puffing. While it’s cute to see him so happy, it’s not cute when it hurts.

I’ve scoured the internet for what to do but all the websites say to make a high pitched “ouch!” And then go limp. Or if he carries on to cross your hands and then walk away if he persists. But none of this works. He’ll bite anything he can get his hands on.

I love him dearly and I always keep my calm knowing you can’t shout at puppies but I can’t say the same for everyone else. They end up getting too frustrated and raise their voice. I need to break this habit and fast so that everyone can feel more at ease, including my brave sister who’s scared of dogs.

I will try any suggestions, thank you so much!
    -Elliot and Atlas :)

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

All puppies bite. They spent several weeks honing their play-biting skills with their litter mates and are very good at it. Getting frustrated and raised voices are exactly what he wants you to do because in his mind you are joining in the play biting game. By far the best method is to fold your arms and totally ignore him, saying absolutely nothing (but everyone in the family needs to do it) and he'll soon realise it's not working and he's not getting your attention.

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

You’ve answered your own question :) he’s over excited, over stimulated, over tired. The key is to recognize when he’s getting near that threshold and intervene. Pop him in his crate/pen for some time out with a chew or kong and chances are he’ll zonk out and you’ll have avoided manic puppy time :)

ETA with my small breed puppy I remember spending a lot of time with my feet up on the sofa, staring at the ceiling! If your pup can’t jump on the sofa yet this might help you too.

Burrowzig likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice