Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Biting legs when he wants something

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Ali Bags, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Ali Bags

Ali Bags PetForums Newbie

My cat gently bites my legs when he wants something. It’s very annoying! It happens when I’m sitting on the sofa and he goes for any exposed flesh - feet, ankles or legs. Im fairly sure it’s not affection and it’s because he wants something- usually food as he’s very good orientated. However he usually already has food out and I don’t want to encourage his fussiness. Any ideas of how to stop him biting me? Obviously telling him off doesn’t work - he’s a cat!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

He just wants your attention. :) I have a cat who gently nips my arm for attention sometimes - I find it rather cute, as he doesn't hurt me! I would rather have a gentle bite than be tapped with a paw with all claws extended (which is what a previous cat used to do to me for attention).

It may not be food your cat wants - unless he is after a different food to what he has been offered . Cats do like variety in their diets, or they get food boredom. I find they need about 4 different flavours of wet foods. Though one of my cats has about 8 different flavours/makes of wet food and he enjoys them all. When he was on fewer foods he soon got bored with them.

It could be your cat just wants your full attention. Perhaps he would enjoy an interactive game?

If he is an indoor cat, he may be bored and need more things to stimulate his mind and provide him with exercise. I have found indoor cats can become obsessed with food if there is no other interest in their lives. If he is an outdoor cat then I assume he would go out and catch himself some prey if it is food he wants. :)

3. Ali Bags

He’s an outdoor cat. He has about 8 different flavours of food AND treats. He gets plenty of attention. But he still bites me!

4. Ali Bags

He just started biting me again even though he had food In his bowl. So I prodded the food a bit and he ate it! Now he’s happily grooming himself beside me on the sofa. Total mummy’s boy! I’ve had many cats and I am pretty expert on them but they can still mystify me.

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Aww, bless him, sounds like he has a great life with you! Some cats can be quite bossy I've found, but luckily I usually find it it endearing (though a paw-ful of claws on my arm or leg was not so nice! LOL)

I agree with you, cats have some mysterious ways - it's one reason I love them. :)

Betty6691 and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice