Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Biting hammie..

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by srhdufe, Jul 1, 2009.

1. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Hi again..

My hammie (Hammy) still bites me. I have had him since February. I have tried putting food on my hand and placing it in the cage for him to climb on but he will not climb onto me. He is still very nervous (Curse pets at home!)
    He jumps whenever i go near the cage. I even upgraded his cage to a larger hamster heaven cage as i heard that it can make a difference if he has a larger cage. But it hasn't. He will take food from me, out of my hand and let me move toys etc in his cage. He just sits and watches me but he does not like being picked up of stroked. Any ideas as to what i can do as i would love to have him hand tame like Leo?..

2. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

I have a hammie who is like this. He has never bitten but is not keen on being picked up. I think the trick is to keep doing it. I get him out everyday and cup my hands around him. If your hammie is biting, try wearing a pair of gloves when you handle him. Good Luck :D

3. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

What breed is he?

Try just sitting and talking to him, say put his cage were you sit at night and tell him whats going on on corrie or whatever.

Try the my ball idea, this is how i tame my hammies, give them no choice but to go on your hand; After you have let hammy run around in the ball for a bit, open the cage door and the ball door, put your hand near the ball opening and wait for him to walk onto your hand and when he does place him in his cage, after about 5 seconds.
    do it again the next day and the next, then try and put your other hand infront of your other
    and see if he walks onto it if not try again the next day

then he will be tame-er

Edit:
    the Key is be patient and let the hammie get used to you, never grab him/.

You shouldnt wear gloves!!! because then he will get used to gloves, not your hands, i only use gloves in extreme cases like oliver but that took along tome to get her used to my hands. so i woulnt

#Xx

goodluck

Xx

#3 u-look-like-a-hamster, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  4. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Try bribing him with a favorite treat and when he's busy chewing on it then try scooping him up. He might be too busy to notice. Make sure to wash your hands carefully before picking him up so that your scent is always neutral and constant.

5. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

He's a large syrian.
    I have to let him out of his ball into his play box as he never wants to come out of the ball. I almost have to tip him out as he loves it in there! :D hehe..
    I scoop him up into a plantpot to get him out of his playbox and then let him into his cage. I will have to put my hand in front of that instead.
    Thanks for the great idea :)

6. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

Try getting him out onto a towel and sitting with him in the towel for a while speaking to him gently so he gets used to your voice, this way he will feel safe and secure in the towel and if he does try to bite you it wont hurt.
    Do this daily and slowly start taking the towel away.
    It just takes time, patience and endurance.
    Hope ewverything goes well ,
    Chloe x

7. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Although I've had loads of hamsters, I can't really give any advice because I've never been bitten by any of mine, even the few nasty ones I had who were tamed pretty quickly.
    x

8. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

Some can seem fine for awhile and then turn nippy, one of mine was like that, I had to tame her all over again. It took boredom and treats to bring her around and now she's been fine for five months.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice