Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Biting border

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Bonnieborder21, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Bonnieborder21

Bonnieborder21 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I have 9 week old border terrier who in many ways is beautiful, she’s practically toilet trained, sleeps in her crate for 10 hours at night with one quick toilet break.
    We have a big problem with her becoming over excited and biting our hands arms legs and clothing and growling. She’s is ripping clothes. We tried the stop sit treat approach which worked so well that she decided to bite and as soon as we said stop she was already sat waiting for reward. We can’t walk across the garden without her pinned to our ankles. In the house she does the same, we tried leaving the room only to find her whizzing room. Only for her to head straight for us and start again on our return. I was wondering about using a crate for time out but didn’t want to upset her bed time routine. Has anyone got any advice.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Normal behaviour, for a terrier puppy.
    Does she sleep much during the day? The relentlessness of it sounds rather like over-tiredness.

O2.0 and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

And too many things - you must have had her for just a week or so?

Prevention is better than cure. But if it happens, some people find a sharp 'ouch' works but it can just ramp up the excitement. Some people find putting a toy in the dog's mouth works, others find the puppy is still more interested in nipping hands. My preferred method is to teach her that teeth on skin equals end of fun. So as soon as she makes contact, walk out of the room for a few moments. That also keep the crate as a non-punishment place.

But pick one thing, and stick to it. As long as the whole family is consistent - do it immediately and do it every time - she will learn. You could use a house line to draw her away, which keeps your hands both out of reach and also keeps hands for only good things.

#3 JoanneF, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  4. Bonnieborder21

She sleeps after her breakfast play again after lunch and early evening.

5. Bonnieborder21

When she’s is nipping mode the toys work, she the flips to what I call Tasmanian devil mode where she sinks teeth in, pulls and growls. Ouch and no make no difference I’ve tried to go completely still not make any contact but it’s so painful at times, and leaving the room when she’s attached to me ankles is tricky.

6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

This is normal my boxer terrorised me as a puppy ! It does pass in the meantime chews, kongs can help. I also opt for leaving the room where possible (loki used to attach himself to me also) it’s often a matter of redirecting and waiting for the land shark phase to pass.

PS puppy photos please :D

Bonnieborder21 and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Try using the house line.

Bonnieborder21 likes this.
  8. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

You've had her only a very short time so you'll need to carry on with consistency, she won't understand the concept of 'no'.

We took on a 6 month old Mali/GSD mix last year who had no boundaries put in place & zero bite inhibition, so I do appreciate how the constant biting can be frustrating!

We used a combination of redirecting onto a toy, ignoring (stand up, arms folded, no eye contact, no talking) & when she was really persistent, leaving the room for a couple of minutes.

All calm behaviour was rewarded with attention, treats or play.

If you are using a crate I'd avoid using it as a time out area as you will want to keep that as her 'safe space'.

Bonnieborder21 and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. Bonnieborder21

10. Bonnieborder21

11. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

So cute ! If you get fed up stick a stamp on her butt and send her to me.

12. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Sounds like our mini dinosaur when we first brought him home too! Lots of ripped clothes, bruises and scratches on my feet and ankles, looked like id been in a fight with some barbed wire on my hands :rolleyes:

Good news is, hes now 16 weeks and much better. Tends to only bite now if he's overtired or too excited. Or occasionally biting someone on the nose is still too hard to resist.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lurcherlad, ECT and Bonnieborder21 like this.
  13. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

I have a terrier (JRT) who had a foot fetish! Distracting with a toy worked best for us, I tried to always have something to hand, a knotted tea towel works well. They do grow out of it although mine is 7 months now and still dives for our feet occasionally, he does listen when told to get off though.

Bonnieborder21 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice