Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Biting barking mad 5 month cocker spaniel

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by LauraH78, Feb 5, 2020.

1. LauraH78

LauraH78 PetForums Newbie

Advice needed pronto so we’ve a beautiful young boy 5 months old today. Unfortunately he’s also a bugger !! He’s developed a love for barking whenever he pleases and literally does not stop !! He bites instead of plays which has resorted to my 8 yr old daughter distancing herself from him ☹️ Any advice welcomed on how to pull the family back together and calm our pup down ( even if a little )

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Someone else will have advice on the barking but whatever the reason for it is, in his mind it is for a good reason. Can you pre-empt it, stop it before it starts, maybe by distracting him with training? You should also train a good 'settle', I'll attach a video that may help.

The biting is quite normal, it's what puppies do. This is just an extension of the boisterous play he had with is littermates but he needs to learn this is not how to play with humans. Some people find a sharp 'ouch' works but it can just ramp up the excitement. Some people find putting a toy in the dog's mouth works, others find the puppy is still more interested in nipping hands. My preferred method is to teach him that teeth on skin equals end of fun. So as soon as he makes contact, walk out of the room for a few moments. As long as the whole family is consistent - do it immediately and do it every time - he will learn. You could use a house line to draw him away, which keeps your hands both out of reach and also keeps hands for only good things.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice