Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Biting & Barking (14 week old puppy)

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Buggles, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

We've had Alfie (shih tzu) for 4 weeks tomorrow, he's now 14 weeks old. He's a fantastic dog. 95% house trained, fantastic in the car, excellent on the lead... now if only he would stop barking for attention. If I'm sitting on the sofa, he comes and sits on the floor, stares at me and barks...and barks...and barks... until he gets attention (usually me telling him to shut up). I know we need to ignore him, but that is easier said than done.

As for the biting. I know its all because of teething but he loves nipping. He follows me round the house nipping the backs of my legs, he'll nip when I play with him etc. I know he's only playing and doesn't mean to nip, but it can really hurt! I have a 4 year old niece and I'm worried he'll nip her and of course it will hurt her.

How can we correct both of these behaviours?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

With the barking, id remove him from the room, and only let him back in when he is quiet. You HAVE to ignore him, however long it takes.

For the biting have a read of The Bite Stops Here (i tried to link, but it says web page unavialable.

3. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Thank you for that, I've skimmed over the article but will have a proper read when I've got more time.

As for removing him from the room...we have an open plan kitchen/diner/lounge so it would mean putting him in the hall and his favourite thing to do in the hall, is to run upstairs (and he cant get todnw again :rolleyes:)

Will give it a try though as the sooner he learns, the better.

4. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

The Bite Stops Here is excellent - read and inwardly digest.

Nonnie is right - you MUST ignore the barking otherwise it will never go away.

I'd also stop him running upstairs - stairs are very bad for the joints of baby dogs and you risk problems later on if you let him keep climbing them.

5. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

definitely support the above - ignore it and give a command that they understand to be no, dont fuss or give multiple commands that will excite them, you can always pop them in a crate for 10 mins to let them settle and they usually get the hint, but when teething and when very young they are exploring what they can do - so be consistant in what is good and whats not. get some toys for them to chew on too :)

6. catellkai

catellkai PetForums Junior

I am having the same problems although the barking has only just started its always at night, when i come home from work, but she hasnt barked at all tonight.The biting has calmed down too i covered my hands in chew deterant and let her have a good chew,she didnt chew for long.I even covered the tops of my feet as she was always trying to bite them.

7. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Alfie isn't biting quite as much now (16 weeks today) but when he does, OUCH does it hurt! The barking seems to be more in the evenings as well.

Had quite a bad night with him last night which is unusual for him. 3am he was barking his head off, came down let him out and he had a drink, put him back to bed (crate) and he barked for 10 minutes then went to sleep again. Then at 6am he was barking again!

8. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

He is definitely learning that when he barks, he gets attention! I agree with the posters above who say that you should ignore him when he barks. I know it's very hard (especially at that time in the morning when you have a sleeping family and neighbours to consider) but if you don't do it now and put up with it for a short while until he learns it is unacceptable, then you are lining yourself up for a lifetime of him barking for attention.

Start training him during the daytime. If I were you I would buy a child gate for the bottom of the stairs so that he can't get upstairs, and the minute he starts to bark just say a very firm "No!", pick him up, put him in the hallway and close the door. Don't look at him or even talk to him apart from the "No" command the first time he barks. Once the barking stops, open the door and let him back in; tell him he is a good boy and make a fuss of him. Keep repeating this every time he barks, and he will soon learn that barking doesn't mean that he gets attention, in fact it means the opposite.

Good luck and let us know how he gets on!

9. catellkai

when you let him out this morning did he go toilet?Sometimes they may desperatly need to go and they dont want to go in the house.Your puppy maybe barking cause he had heard a strange noise in the garden,its hard to try and sort which bark is which.I was woken up at 6 with my little one barking.She needed the loo, i am really struggling with neighbours at the back of us due to there ols labrador being outside all night so its yappin can sometimes disturb her too.
    My little one barks from about 730 to 8 on a night time, and it is for attention as they are kept in the kitchen,i would love her in the room but it just wont settle down to sleep at all, which is why i dont think i ever got a puppy who just slept all day on the sofa, no mine from the off was extremley hard to control.When we first brought her home her first 4 weeks were most of the time kept in a crate due to the amount she used to bite us,She has practically stopped the biting which is good.
    I would really watch your puppy to see what he wants ie toilet or a toy, just so he will get bored of you letting him all the time, try not to give him too much attention either which i no is hard but it may get used to being apart from you and the barking could quite possible stop.
    Just some things to think of,

10. catellkai

Does alfie have any toys in his bed? a teddy bear something thats a good size to him some dogs just get lonely and a teddy could just a little reasurrance he is not alone.

11. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Hi, yes he does have toys in his bed. It's not him barking in his bed which is annoying as he is brilliant in his bed (just not last night!). It's barking in the evenings when he is in the lounge with us (out of his crate), he sits and barks at us until we give him attention which of course is giving in to him. We have started putting him in the hall and that seems to work.

12. catellkai

It will do they say by just putting them out of the family circle will soon make he realise no barking and he can stay all night.Its quite silly how dogs can adjust to not being included.

13. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Sammy is the same with his barking, we can be sitting watching TV...he'll bark and I'll sh*t myself LOL

If I know that he is not needing out then we just put him into hall and ingore him, as sometimes he barks to let us know he needs out :D

14. dimkaz

dimkaz PetForums VIP

hi, great piece!

do you have the source of that?
    thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice