Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bitch producing milk for several months

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Ducky, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

So recently i added a new bitch to the family. I have no past history on her so dont know if she was used for breeding or not.

When she first came on the scene, the vets pondered over a pregnancy but quickly discarded. She was producing milk, and quite a fair bit. So perhaps had had puppies not long ago?
    She had a course of Galastop and they seemed happy that she had dried up.

However, when it came to taking her in for her neuter a few weeks later, there was milk again. So they didnt spay her. And we started another course of Galastop.

Took her in again today to be spayed, still milk! Not much and very watery, but still there. So again, no spay and sent home with more galastop.

Has anyone ever experienced this?
    A bitch producing milk for what is now at least 2 months. I've only ever had one other bitch and she was spayed before her first season, so dont really have any experience of this.

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Hi there, just saw your thread and didnt want to read it and run off without replying. I dont have any experience of this nor have I heard about it before either, I hope you manage to get her spayed at some point, this should stop her producing milk all together. Put this thread up in Dog Chat you may have more replies okay x

3. Set_Nights

Set_Nights PetForums VIP

Mia was producing milk for several months after her 1st season due to a false pregnancy. She has 2 rounds of Galastop and it still didn't clear up entirely. In the end we (the vet and I) decided to just go ahead with the spay as she was at risk of coming into season again and would have been quite likely to have another false pregnancy!

4. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

shes booked in to hopefully get done on the 23rd now. so with any luck she will have dried up completely by then. maybe she was having a false pregnancy, but she had no other symptoms of it as such.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice