Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bitch in season not eating

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Whiteshadow, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow PetForums Senior

Hi. I have a healthy 3.5 year old staffy bitch in season ( day 20).
    Today she did not touch any of her food I tried everything.She is drinking and has energy. It happened before but not that extreme of course if she doesnt eat tomorrow ill call the vet but is complete loss of appetite normal symptom of season? Thanks in advance im a bit worried.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It isn't at all unusual for a bitch to become fussy about food around her season, or even not want to eat at all.

Our Staffy became very reluctant to eat before, during and after her season, but once she had been spayed and all had settled, she began eating well again.

Are you planning to have your bitch spayed?

3. Whiteshadow

Yes probably sometime next year . I dont have any intention of breeding from her although shes a super girl. I just wanted towait with spaying as long as possible.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I haven't noticed any of mine not eating when having a season. If it carries on and especially if she starts drinking more water then usual and becomes otherwise unwell too, I would get her checked. around seasons and a couple of months after can be prime times for uterine infections If they are going to get one. The older the bitch the chances increase too. Although she is only 3 1/2 and otherwise seems healthy I have seen and heard of the problem in younger bitches too. Sometimes you get a discharge that can look anything from normal season like to thickened and odd coloured, but you can also get closed infection where the infection gets sealed in the uterus doesn't drain and you don't know until they become ill.

5. Whiteshadow

Thank you. She is still bleeding looks normal . Havent been drinking excessively. Ill see how it goes tomorrow.
    What age do you think is best to spay an older bitch? She is happy, athletic and energetic and i would have kept her intact but she does have tendency to fantoms ( no signs of distress)and im scared of pyometra in older age So will be spayed before shes 5yr old not sure when is the best time once you passed the 2 first ones.

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I'm surprised she's still bleeding 20 days into her season. That's unusual.

There is nothing to be gained, IMO, from waiting until she's five years old.

I would speak to your Vet and have her spayed three months from now.

7. Sled dog hotel

The normal time to spay is about 12/13 weeks after a season, so providing she doesn't have a phantom again, you should be able to spay her all being well in about 12 weeks. The reason for this is that even though the outward signs of a season has usually disappeared in about 21 days the raised hormone levels still remain raised for 60 and even up to 90 days after the outward signs of the season has finished. because of the raised hormones that's why its the prime time in these weeks for phantoms and uterine infections to occur mostly. You also need to wait this time for any internal changes to return to normal as well, because there is an increased blood supply which can increase the chances of bleeding during surgery. If she is 3 1/2 then there is no reason why she shouldn't be spayed in about 12 weeks time really.

If the do develop pyometra which is a serious uterine infection, then the only treatment really is to have an emergency spay anyway. If she is still bleeding heaviy and its day 20 that might be a bit suspect too.

8. Whiteshadow

Shes not bleeding heavily but still spotting in Red colour.

9. Sled dog hotel

20 days seems a long time to still be losing anything. Its a few years ago now that t my last female was spayed but from memory I remember the average from start to finish was about 21 days. The only time one of my bitches went on for longer then that it turned out that she had an infection.

10. Whiteshadow

Mines seasons are always longer than 21 days usually 25 days or more. I hope its not an infection but will call the vet if she is not better tomorrow .she still didnt touch her food not even raw or wet but have no problem eating my cornish ice cream...
    Ill keep you updated

11. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

Everyone above has given you sterling advice and I'm sure there is nothing wrong with her but I am asking you to keep an eye on her as I lost a bitch to a symptom less pyometra several months after her season, she was two and a half.

12. Whiteshadow

Firedog I am so sorry for your loss and promise you to watch her closely I wanted her to have normal life for as long as possible and I think it was the right thing for her (my vet disagrees )but now shes mature now and its just aint worth the risk.

Sled dog hotel and Firedog like this.
  13. Whiteshadow

Good news . Eating normal again she woke up with appetite. Ill still be watching her and fix her in few months time. Thanks for advice.

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice