Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bitch in season and doggy park

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Oblada, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Why do people walk their bitch in season in the field/park where everyone lets their dog off leash?? They are a lot of entire males here...

Its quite a pain really, my boy is getting distracted lol
    Seriously its oki during most of the season time, I can see my boy picking up the scent but then when I call he comes easily and forgets about it...but right now must be like the "right" time for whichever bitch is coming to the park to leave her mark because although my boy is coming when called and also keeps going back to the "scent spots"! Its annoying!!!!

I can understand some owners not wanting the trouble of keeping their bitch indoors for what can be 3 weeks but at least AVOID THE DOGGY PARK, especially at the "peak" of the season - for the safety of the bitch as much as the sanity of the males around lol

Isnt that common sense??

:eek:ut::cursing:

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Thats just stupid. I wouldn't even take a bitch in season out near where other dogs are it wouldn't be fair to her or the intact males and could end up in a serious fight.

3. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

i agree...... how irresponsible to take a bitch in season out where males are esp.................... i know , my lads go through it when my girls come in season but it just takes a bit commonsense with letting them out and making sure the lads dont sneak past lol

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Its so unfair on other dogs and their owners, surely there is somewhere they can take them out of the way for a few weeks. We have our first bitch and although she is 1 on sunday, hasnt come into season yet, but early on i checked out where i would be able to take her and what would be the best time, i know some keep them in but i dont feel that would be fair to her, but it has to be fair on all the males and their owners as well.

5. Dundee

Dundee Banned

It's one of my pet hates too :mad: Bitch owners seem oblivious to the distress they cause dogs and the possible danger they put them in. :mad:

Mine doesn't go out (except in the garden) during her fertile time, but early and late season I take them out late and early to a local industrial estate that has a large car park where there are no dogs.

6. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Thanks for that! Its good to know some "bitch-owners" agree ;)
    Could someone tell the people in my area PLEASE ;) they dont seem to know that bit and its a shame because they are otherwise quite lovely ppl! lol

Its like the 3rd "mystery bitch in season" in a couple of months - meaning bitches that my boy has scented but that we have fortunately not met!

Im always quite amazed when we meet bitches in the park and I can see my boy being VERY interested in them...and the owner then turns around and say" oh yeah I THINK she is in season..." (WELL THANK GOD I PUT MY BOY ON THE LEAD THEN!!crazy...)

Its only through this forum that I have discovered that some people actually consider not taking their bitch out at all during the season which I find very brave and quite amazing to be honest ;)
    But im only asking that people avoid the doggy-park/field!

7. Oblada

Oblada Guest

And the worse thing as far as im concerned is that my boy is actually quite good with bitches that are early or late in their season...its only during the fertile time (i think anyway) that he goes up the wall..and who can blame hime really?? ;)

8. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Oh... don't get me started ;)

It's not just taking bitches out in season either - it's letting them out in the garden unattended and then wondering why there's a male dog in the garden and the possible ensuing litter - thinking they can keep entire dogs and bitches in the house together - a pair of knicker will prevent a pregnancy... the list is endless :mad:

I really don't understand why if people can't or aren't prepared to be responsible owning entire bitches then GET THEM SPAYED.....

Again, meeting in season bitches while out (or discovering the scent they leave behind) can really ruin a dog's behaviour around bitches (whether in season or not) - so when their dog doesn't leave their bitch alone even when not in season, tell them some thoughtless idiot took their bitch out while in season and caused this problem

9. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

Oh dont get me started on seasons at the moment. I am living the most expensive, disruptive season ever! My girl had a litter on her last season and i kept a boy. Vet wont spay until she has had a season after the litter.

Result, my boy is in the pet carer for a whole 3 weeks and my girl doesnt get walked beyond to and from the car to work as she is weeing after every 2 footsteps so she is calling those boys and it really isnt fair.

It's inconvenient and i cant wait to have her spayed. I would never take her to an area where dogs are off lead, not fair!

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

we have some thickos like that they have thier in season dog off lead and then have the flippin cheek to ask me to put my dog on a lead?!?

really really really annoys me!!!

11. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I would think so, what a cheek of some people:eek:hmy:

12. Sari

Sari PetForums Member

I took my 7 month old dog out the other day and we met a woman walking her bitch who was on heat. Fortunately my boy wasn't bothered but it could have been disastrous as they were both big dogs so I'm not sure how we would have handled the situation if they'd been really determined. I was a bit cross because I don't want my boy learning about such things so soon :eek: - he's too young and I don't want to have him 'done' just yet.

This is the first dog we've ever had as all the rest have been bitches. When they were in season we always exercised them in the garden and stayed with them the whole time, especially as my Dad called my Mum in once; when she got back, there was a big black dog in the garden...smiling. Beautiful puppies but not quite what she was planning for her very expensive pedigree! :smilewinkgrin:

13. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Don't get me started

:mad: :mad: :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice