Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bitch in long labour is this all normal?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Hannah Beecroft, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Hannah Beecroft

Hannah Beecroft PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone! I’ve rang my vet and he’s said not to worry until 24 hours I’m just looking for some advice on if this is all normal as I’m a first time breeder/worrier! My bitch started around 1:15am to best and pant, her temp has also been around 37/37.1 all day. She has done a little shaking too while sleeping which worried me only for a few seconds but still, she is also sleeping quite deeply but still breathing heavily while asleep. She been lifting her back leg up too a couple of time, and she’s being very clingy she won’t settle unless I’m right close to her. We are now 17:48 so she’s been like this for 16 and a half hours. No sign of any showing etc no no contractions that I’ve noticed yet and no grunting etc. Any advice or comments are appreciated x

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

What day is she on? Is she due today/tomorrow? I don't reckon much on temperature so tend to go on how the bitch is. I would expect her to be uncomfortable and the pups will be moving into the birth canal so this can make her twitchy. They can get pacey and panty long before things start. And get a bit clingy. Have you go someone with you who's done this before? It does help to have a mentor handy. It can be a long process.

Your Vet is right that unless there is a reason - ie; she is straining or showing discomfort then it's still a waiting game but if you are worried that she isn't responsive or is in pain then you do of course call your vet.

More than that I can't really say....which is why it's good to have someone there who is more experienced who can monitor things for you.....maybe your bitches breeder would help?

J

Rafa likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice