Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bitch getting spayed!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by GSDlover4ever, Aug 3, 2009.

1. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

i have a 4 year old GSD bitch who is getting spayed on the 13th of august!

I would have preferred to have gotten her spayed a lot sooner, especially since I have had her for a few years - but in the past the money I saved up to get her spayed was spent on an emergency trip to the vet for one of my other animals.
    luckily enough that won’t happen this time - as i have already paid for the Op.

Obviously I am a bit nervous - it would be weird not to be!

She is also getting a lump in her mouth removed - luckily enough the vets don't think it is cancerous, but they haven't had a proper look yet :eek:

i read a lot on several dog forums!
    maybe too much lol
    Zara was attacked by a dog several months ago. she had been attacked several times and was always scared - but i got her to the stage where she was fantastic - i would tell her to watch me and she wouldn't even look at the other dogs.
    however when she was on lead and watching me an old man was walking past with his x-breed, it was on lead and had a halti on, it was straining on the lead trying to get at Zara.

to my horror the old man fell and the dog came flying towards Zara from behind and attacked her!

to cut a long story short, she is still weary of dogs running about her, especially when she doesn't see them.
    she will always look behind her at dogs walking passed - probably in case they attack her!

if dogs walk up to her calmly and she sees them she tried to play with them and is such a flirt lol

my question is - if she is spayed would this make her fear worse?

i have read in some cases that it can make them worse.

any advice would be appreciated!

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Some bitches dont change at all in there nature and there actions after being spayed it really depends on the dog herself its just good as it can cut down risks of cancers of the mammary glands etc and the womb and also you have no worries of unwanted pregnancy.

3. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

oh she will defo be getting spayed - im just wondering if now is the best time!! :rolleyes:

probably me worrying to much again!

her sister, aunt and gran caught pyrometra, two of them had to be spayed ASAP or they wouldn't have survived! - so i am paranoide she might get it as well.

4. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

iTS ALWAYS A WORRY I SUPPOSE YOU HAVE TO WEIGH UP THE PROS AND CONS . PERSONAL CHOICE IN THE END BUT CAN BENEFIT WITH SOME HEALTH ISSUES THAT CAN BE REDUCED BY SPAYING. Goodluck. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice